Whitewater WI review

Thank you especially for those comments.

To quote a professor I had, "Silence can be just as musical as sound."

Even when the DMs marched out for awards, they were walking like they were taking a leisurely afternoon stroll. Out of step, heads down....WOW! This show does not work, plain and simple.

Also some very negative comments from the Cavaliers alumnus sitting next to me. He really didnt have to say anything after the show, you could see it in his face.

Overheard from a Cavalier alumnus while the DM's were "strolling" out on the field. "Now we're the F'n Velvet Knights! I can't believe this s#@%."

Thanks for the reviews, guys! Very nice.

One point of contention: the first poster mentions that a trumpet player should never need a mic. While I do understand the negativity of this in drum corps, the fact is that jazz trumpeters use mics all the time. Even trumpeters as powerful as Maynard Ferguson. Sometimes the way the music is orchestrated creates the need for the mic, and I will admit that it has to be used correctly. Where I think you are correct is that often times in drum corps the mic'd instruments are not used very well. The Bluecoats did use it well one year (maybe 2010) when they mic'd a muted baritone.

Completely different idiom. And btw, Madison was the next corps on and their four screamers could EASILY be heard even with the corps playing at full blast behind them.

Overheard from a Cavalier alumnus while the DM's were "strolling" out on the field. "Now we're the F'n Velvet Knights! I can't believe this s#@%."

The irony is that when you peeled away all the comedy and slapstick, there was a TON of talent, both performance and design-wise, underneath.

Don't get me wrong (or the person I overheard for that matter). I love VK and I loved when their DM's came walking out for scores with lawn chairs but I believe the Cavie alum was a little disappointed in his corps' lack of class.

To quote a professor I had, "Silence can be just as musical as sound."

His last name wasn't Cage, was it? :rolleyes:

His last name wasn't Cage, was it? :rolleyes:

Kilian, but close enough. :tongue: