Divisional Organization in WGI...

saxtonj

After going to 7 WGI shows in 2002 (hopefully more in 2003).  I have to wonder as to the organization of the divisions the guards perform in.

Some make total sense, like SA.

But in many of the shows, including the larger regional shows, some of the guards are alone in their respective divisions.  Is this real competition and is this good for those guards?  Yes, they have to perform (practice) for Nationals but what standard can they hold themselves to if there is not another guard they can compete against there?

Should the division's be reorganized or should the shows be organized based on the number / classification of the guards that are going to attend.

I am not saying that guards show be turned away but would more competition of their caliber earlier in the season be more productive for the guard later in the season?

I also experienced this.  I went to only one WGI show this year, but that show had (as I recall) at least three divisions in which only one guard was competing.  I remember thinking at the time, What's up with this?

While we're on the subject of divisions, does anyone know if all the divisions are scored on the same sheets or if there are different sheets based on class (like the D1 vs. D2/3 sheets in DCI)?

I am the director of an IA guard and in order for us to attend WGI Nationals we must compete in one regional.  Some regions do not have enough guards to have more than one in a class.  But understand that the guard must compete in only one class during the year unless it is moved by WGI.  So if they entered a class say IA and they were the only one......they couldnt be move to IO to make more competition. This would also take them out of their competitive range and place them in a situation outside of their normal competition.  This would also put them on a different sheet for judging.  

Each class has a different sheet with a different set of criteria's for the respective boxes.  

We compete all year in a circuit that has onyly 4 IA guards so many times we are the only IA guard in the show.  We are planning to join some other circuits to try and get more competition.

Hope that helps.

I think all the different classes are valid at WGI. Each class has different criteria. To see the judges sheets with explanations and such go to the MEPA website, last time I was there they have the sheets up and u can download and read them with Adobe, I beleive their site is www.mepacircuit.org

Hey,its on the WGI site I beleive. Its also on RAMC ,the usenet colorguard newsgroup...i think u can read it through google too.

Part of the reason is to help get "A" class back to what it is suppose to be I think. Since there h

as been so much argument over what A class is and how alot of the guards really would do great in Open. I think it is a great rule it will gives the rest of us A guards faith that 2003 could be our year in finals. I am excited for all the new changes WGI is making to make this fair for all the guards. :) There were a bunch of different rules passed to, I don't remember them all, but here is the one pertaining to the A guards being bumped:

Proposal #42: Promote all finalists at World Championships into the next class.

Amended to read: Promote all finalists in the IA and SA Classes at World

Championships into the respective Open Class. - Retroactive to 2002 season.

Passed as amended by Advisory Board

there ya go! :)

~ Shannon ~