Hypothetically and completely tongue in cheek

Given current judging, if a corps came out and did 4:33 by John Cage, did not move, did not play a single note, then left the field, could they get a 100? Bear in mind that this is a total joke coming from me, but in theory, how could a judge deduct points if such a flawless and effective performance was put out there?

If this happened, given the intent of the show (silence, forcing the audience member to listen to the sounds of their current environment)

visual adaptation of the piece (no movement to force the audience to observe their current environment)

our new thing of "engaging" the audience could not be denied because they would be completely immersed in the show.

Thoughts??

• Like 3

Given current judging, if a corps came out and did 4:33 by John Cage, did not move, did not play a single note, then left the field, could they get a 100? Bear in mind that this is a total joke coming from me, but in theory, how could a judge deduct points if such a flawless and effective performance was put out there?

If this happened, given the intent of the show (silence, forcing the audience member to listen to the sounds of their current environment)

visual adaptation of the piece (no movement to force the audience to observe their current environment)

our new thing of "engaging" the audience could not be denied because they would be completely immersed in the show.

Thoughts??

Well, your content scores would probably be zero (or whatever the current scoring floor is), and your achievement numbers would be dependent on how well you didn't do what you're not doing :)

• Like 5

Since we allow amplification now, you could make a complete show out of it . . .0'00" as a follow-up and then "One" (to the 3rd power) for the closer.

I also recommend only having one member on the field for maximum lulz.

All you need then is some vague commentary in your design meeting beforehand with the judges about ambient sound, the audience as an instrument, a reference to "chaos magic", randomness and/or the I Ching and you've got a winner. :wink:

Well, your content scores would probably be zero (or whatever the current scoring floor is), and your achievement numbers would be dependent on how well you didn't do what you're not doing :)

Help my ignorance of the judging system here. Is content completely based on difficulty? If so, I could understand the zero, if not, then why not high numbers?

Since we allow amplification now, you could make a complete show out of it . . .0'00" as a follow-up and then "One" (to the 3rd power) for the closer.

I also recommend only having one member on the field for maximum lulz.

All you need then is some vague commentary in your design meeting beforehand with the judges about ambient sound, the audience as an instrument, a reference to "chaos magic", randomness and/or the I Ching and you've got a winner. :wink:

I really like this. You're headed straight to the top with this kind of thinking.

• Like 1

I like this topic.

Thoughts??

<tongue in cheek>

DCP would be abuzz with this show which surely proves it was engaging the audience. It might not be entertaining. You might not like it. But it sure would be engaging and therefore would score extremely well. After all, dont we want diversity in DCI? Don't we want shows that make us THINK? Aren't you tired of company front after company front? I'd say if someone did this show it would be MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

</tic>

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 4

Help my ignorance of the judging system here. Is content completely based on difficulty? If so, I could understand the zero, if not, then why not high numbers?

No, content isn't based on difficulty (though it can be a factor). Content requires you do "do" something. You have to remember that while the Cage piece is certainly considered art, it still has to be performed within the rules and structure of drum corps. Check out the sheets for more info on what that criteria is.

well, just b/c they aren't making noise and marching doesn't mean they aren't doing anything... it just means they are doing something else.

agree. there are ALL KINDS of demand. if cleaning slow moving drill is very difficult, it follows mathematically that as your speed approaches zero, the difficulty approaches infinity. Wonder what box THAT is ??

anyway drumcorps is not about physical demand and whiplash drill, it's about ART. I really hope some corps who's brave enough to push boundaries and take things to the next level would be willing to tackle this monster show concept.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2