Music for woodwinds in the world of drum corps

There must be some

Blue Stars 1978

"Suite for Jazz Flute and Piano" by Claude Bolling

(An actual flute work)

Blue Devils 2000

"Taxi Driver" (from "Night Piece for Saxophone and Orchestra") by Bernard Herrmann

(Written for Saxophone with orchestra accompaniment)

Madison Scouts 2006

"Gabriel's Oboe" (from "The Mission") by Ennio Morricone

(This piece prominently featured an oboe with orchestra accompaniment)

As a one-time clarinetist who wanted to make the drum corps jump in high school, I'm sure I would have said yes at one time simply because I wanted to be in a drum corps, but I think there are solid reasons to say no. While some would argue that adding woodwinds would be creating a band, this may be the weakest argument now that B-flat rather than Key of G instruments are the norm. One major reason is look. For me, the look of all silver brass instruments adds something and you wouldn't have that look. Second, woodwinds add nuances that are great musically, but part of what amazes me is how a drum corps can make brass arrangements of works that are usually arranged for orchestras which would include strings and woodwinds.

I love woodwinds, but I don't think I'd love them in drum corps.

I don't think that Drum Corps stays away, specifically, from woodwind pieces. I mean, there are so many other pieces that have been arranged for brass that were originally intended for other instrument groups (Adagio for Strings, Hungarian Rhapsody 2, etc)...but off the top of my head I can't think of any woodwind-only pieces that have been arranged for Drum Corps.

Although that would make a great theme for a show...something we can all get without reading ten pages of backstory. This year, so-and-so presents their show "Music On A Theme For Woodwinds" or something. I don't know...I'm just rambling now... :huh: