Allentown night 1

Ok so I only went to night one since I was going to be touring with Bloo until finals volunteering.

Pioneer-stood against the wall so I can't really comment visually. The kids push and try hard. Besides that, I don't think this is Friday night material.

Got to my seat on the 50, 11th row. Sweet seats if I do say so myself

Mandarins-cleaned up a lot since I saw them in California. they lack that extra power volume wise until their last horn impact. New ending needs work but I liked it.

Pacific Crest-this corps is on its way up. I don't think they'll move any higher than they currently are but they are making heads turn. Crowd didn't expect the first impact to be that loud and to stay that way or get bigger throughout the show. Got the first none hesitant standing O of the night. Makes me prouder to be an alum of this corps.

Colts- started strong but seemed to tire more and more as the show went on. The theme is very apparent in the guard and the DM soloist. But I had them where they ended up.

Troopers-best brass section of the first half. I get the concept but it's a little awkward at times and each movement ends a bit weird. I really like 2011 and hope they can design something like that again.

Spirit- holy cow that brass section can play! Loved the ballad arrangement of "poker face" and how it was reprised in the closer. Reminds me of the 07 PC show but with more edge. Almost seems like a show Bloo would do.

Phantom-very theatrical as usual for this group. They found their loud again because they lacked that a lot in California. Powerful sound but the ending to me is wash, rinse, repeat without death of last seasons show. Crowd loved it.

Bluecoats-powerful horn sound. Interesting visual technique going toe first a every step size. Concept is extremely apparent live and is a bit tear jerking at the end. I know one of the kids recorded for the voice overs in Flume and know what he means by his words and it struck me close. Great show Bloo! Proud alum of this corp as well.

Crown-loud AF!!! Definitely has the Ott trophy in the bag. So many notes and so much running! I thought their guard was better than devs. They have too much individual visual dirt to catch BD and it's mostly in body movement timing as oppose to drill movement. Great show though

BD- I usually don't like their shows but I love this one! The opening is powerful and the flugelhorn solo and brass section accompaniment are gorgeous and possibly my favorite part of their show. I still don't get why they need vocals for this show. That's all I'm complaining about for them this season. Strong in all areas and will win a well deserved #15 in Indy.

Now if you excuse me, I need to go cook bloos dinner

Edited by azul
  • Like 2

Nice review, Azul! And many thanks for feeding my kid!!!

Always great stuff man. Wish I could be out there. I must say it's really great to see how much they've improved since I saw them at Memorial camp when I was home. I do agree with you on Spirit too, exactly what I thought when I first saw them on FN.

Nice review, Azul! And many thanks for feeding my kid!!!

No problem! Glad to help out for the 40th!

Thanks for the review!