Allentown VOD's

Gasp! A video recording at a venue with no AV facilities isn't as vibrant and detailed as seeing a show live??? Not every VOD among over a dozen has been given the DVD postproduction treatment or recorded with the best possible gear??? Scandalous!

Seriously guys, if you want to fund higher quality production for Allentown, I'm sure DCI would accept targeted donations towards the cause next year.

Why don't you stop attacking everyone and anyone that has a criticism with the fan network and the recording failures mr. Whopper...you love to force your all is good, your opinion is wrong on anyone that dare says anything...yet what is said is the truth.

There are blatant , consistent, shortcomings and oversights with the production of this offered feature, it's not a $5 purchase and consumers are allowed to comment and criticize , even make suggestions on how it could be done...why do you feel you have to hijack everyone's opinion with a put down, or try and aggressively shut down a criticizing opinion?

Geoffrey

• Like 3

Regarding these VOD recordings....I saw the setup at an earlier show in the season. Whoever DCI hired was simply using a sony handy cam video camera and using the onboard sound. Those things to not record professional audio, super compressed! They had no form of proper stereo recording setup at allentown. Probably just a video camera up top, which is why there is no sense of stereo on the recordings.

In todays digital age, I think there is really no excuse for the quality of some of the VOD videos on the fan network. Superb results can be had for pretty darn cheap. Like...$1500 cheap. Seems like DCI would have a proper archival system at these big shows

Just some factual inaccuracies to correct...

The camera in use at Allentown was an FX7. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/459129-REG/Sony_HDRFX7_HDR_FX7_3CMOS_HDV_1080i.html

The audio setup was the same one used in San Antonio - Rode mics powered by a board. We don't use the onboard mic. Also, the press box is further away than San Antonio. We did not add a stereo widening effect; we take the "golf approach" to "play it as it lies". In the stands, you'd have less stereo effect, too. Headphones, and The Cadets at about 2:00 will show you it wasn't the on-board mono mic.

There were some lens issues according to the camera op. Not sure if it's due to humidity or what, but that wasn't intentional, obviously.

As for the delay in Atlanta, our recording hardware somehow managed to switch the red and blue color channels. This meant color correction and re-rendering every file. It made the people look like they were from Avatar, which was interesting and a little funny, but we weren't going to post them until they were right. It took longer, and that is why we left the live show up. It wasn't optimal, but that's why.

If anyone has a question about quality, I can take that email directly. mat@dci.org

• Like 6

The camera in use at Allentown was an FX7. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/459129-REG/Sony_HDRFX7_HDR_FX7_3CMOS_HDV_1080i.html

The audio setup was the same one used in San Antonio - Rode mics powered by a board. We don't use the onboard mic. Also, the press box is further away than San Antonio. We did not add a stereo widening effect; we take the "golf approach" to "play it as it lies". In the stands, you'd have less stereo effect, too. Headphones, and The Cadets at about 2:00 will show you it wasn't the on-board mono mic.

There were some lens issues according to the camera op. Not sure if it's due to humidity or what, but that wasn't intentional, obviously.

As for the delay in Atlanta, our recording hardware somehow managed to switch the red and blue color channels. This meant color correction and re-rendering every file. It made the people look like they were from Avatar, which was interesting and a little funny, but we weren't going to post them until they were right. It took longer, and that is why we left the live show up. It wasn't optimal, but that's why.

If anyone has a question about quality, I can take that email directly. mat@dci.org

Great info drumcat .... again thanks for sharing. I just want to reiterate ... I'm not complaining about your setup, nor did I really look at Allentown to see what the setup was. It is what it is. I'm just trying to make people aware that the product can't truly be judged based on a 2D stream to their computer. Live is the only way to truly know what the shows are like.

I did speculate a few things about sound ... might be the equipment, the mix ... not sure. It reminds me of the PBS broadcasts that were used for the DVD's for years and years .... and when the cassette tapes came out .. you were always blown away at the difference in the sound. The bad thing now is .. in that enclosed building .. the final product is going to be heavily engineered with regards to audio .. so again, the customers won't be hearing the corps as they truly are.

Dude, don't ever be upset about the work you guys are doing .. or the comments made by us on here. I'm thankful for the money I spent that I'm getting as good a quality read and listen as I am. That's thanks to you guys and your efforts. I understand the technical aspects of what it would take to make the product you're producing better ... the money it would cost .. and the fact that it's #### near impossible to process the audio at field level, separate from the video, and put them back together and stream them at the same time ... can't really be done live to my knowledge.

So, keep doin what you're doin. You have my thanks and gratitude. If you can correct some of what I just typed, give a bit more insight .. I'm sure those who have FN will come to understand the challenges more .. and with that, come to realize why LIVE is so different from a web stream.

Great info drumcat .... again thanks for sharing. I just want to reiterate ... I'm not complaining about your setup, nor did I really look at Allentown to see what the setup was. It is what it is. I'm just trying to make people aware that the product can't truly be judged based on a 2D stream to their computer. Live is the only way to truly know what the shows are like.

I did speculate a few things about sound ... might be the equipment, the mix ... not sure. It reminds me of the PBS broadcasts that were used for the DVD's for years and years .... and when the cassette tapes came out .. you were always blown away at the difference in the sound. The bad thing now is .. in that enclosed building .. the final product is going to be heavily engineered with regards to audio .. so again, the customers won't be hearing the corps as they truly are.

Dude, don't ever be upset about the work you guys are doing .. or the comments made by us on here. I'm thankful for the money I spent that I'm getting as good a quality read and listen as I am. That's thanks to you guys and your efforts. I understand the technical aspects of what it would take to make the product you're producing better ... the money it would cost .. and the fact that it's #### near impossible to process the audio at field level, separate from the video, and put them back together and stream them at the same time ... can't really be done live to my knowledge.

So, keep doin what you're doin. You have my thanks and gratitude. If you can correct some of what I just typed, give a bit more insight .. I'm sure those who have FN will come to understand the challenges more .. and with that, come to realize why LIVE is so different from a web stream.

I certainly didn't take anything in the thread personally. I just wanted to make sure you guys knew we didn't go to Allentown with lesser equipment. Environment is everything, and it's always best effort, every time. Enjoy the show today.

In spite of all the complaining here and in spite of the occasional glitches, Fan Network is the best bargain in DCI. For any drum corps fan who has the Internet service to deliver it, it is worth every penny.

Couldn't agree more.

Sorry for assuming it was the same setup I saw earlier in the year! I saw the rig at the CYA nationals show back in early July. Wasn't accusing you of making a mono or stereo-widened recording, just was commenting on the placement of the mics .