1966 Dream, SAC Retreat

Came upon this footage of the 1966 Dream contest and saw something unusual. At 8:06 minutes, Blessed Sacrament is passing in review on retreat and it looks like one of the corps has their backs to them. This corps is not moving over to the left to take their turn, as you can plainly see the Hurcs and Cabs were just before this. Sky was still facing front as were other corps to the left and right. One is even applauding SAC.

Anyone else see this as unusual, or is the film too dark to see what's really happening?

This from YouTube:

Edited by gsksun4

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Came upon this footage of the 1966 Dream contest and saw something unusual. At 8:06 minutes, Blessed Sacrament is passing in review on retreat and it looks like one of the corps has their backs to them. This corps is not moving over to the left to take their turn, as you can plainly see the Hurcs and Cabs were just before this. Sky was still facing front as were other corps to the left and right. One is even applauding SAC.

Anyone else see this as unusual, or is the film too dark to see what's really happening?

This from YouTube:

Can't figure out who it is ... not sure if their backs are turned ... earlier panning of the retreat showed their faces with the crossbelt going in the same direction ... the corps applauding is St. Lucy's ... there was no mention in the DCN article of "bad behavior" ... the only corps with a uni that dark that day was the Cavaliers ... but why would the be lined up between Reading and Sky ... nice clip of BS though ... thanks ...

:-)

Can't figure out who it is ... not sure if their backs are turned ... earlier panning of the retreat showed their faces with the crossbelt going in the same direction ... the corps applauding is St. Lucy's ... there was no mention in the DCN article of "bad behavior" ... the only corps with a uni that dark that day was the Cavaliers ... but why would the be lined up between Reading and Sky ... nice clip of BS though ... thanks ...

It looks like a line-up mix of junior and senior, with Kilts, Royal Airs, Troop, SAC, then Hurcs, Cabs, Sky, Dips, then Cavies and last, St. Lucys. I can't be sure because it's too dark, but I don't see that large chrome buckle in the front of the Cavies uniform.

Maybe it's just tired eyes.

It looks like a line-up mix of junior and senior, with Kilts, Royal Airs, Troop, SAC, then Hurcs, Cabs, Sky, Dips, then Cavies and last, St. Lucys. I can't be sure because it's too dark, but I don't see that large chrome buckle in the front of the Cavies uniform.

Maybe it's just tired eyes.

Thanks much for posting this great video.

From 6:21 on in retreat, it looks to me like, L to R..St. Andrew's Bridgemen who were in exhibition, Cavies, Kilties,Lucy's,Royal Airs,Troopers, BSGK.

In the Senior ranks, my eyes tell me, ( and they deceive me sometimes ) Hurcs, Cabs, SKY, Reading & Les Dips.

I performed ( if you can call it that ) with the Bridgemen that day. I remember standing next to some 7 foot tall Cavaliers, snickering at us,

and one of our 15-16 year-old sopranos ( a Gus Wilke protege ) said blank them, stay at attention. One day we're gonna beat those guys. I didn't get to march, but we did, in 1973.

( Regardless, I have been a fan and always liked the Cavies since 1966. Not so much this year. ) :smile: Wish them continued great success.

As far as the backs turned on BSGK, I could be mistaken but it looks like Les Dips. I'm thinking it was probably inadvertent, as why would they have any problem with GK's ?

Thanks for the memories, BSGK and all the corps who took the field that day in August, 1966. Hard to believe it's 46 years ago !!! Wow.

It was my honor and privilege to perform with BSGK's Alumni corps for a few years, in memory of the great Bobby Thompson.

Be well all.

Tom.

This from YouTube:

Glenn,

No one is facing backfield. Look at the feet.

F

Troopers 80.28? How did they get a .28? I realize that I marched in the '70s and that things were different then, but how did you lose a 100th of a point??

Troopers 80.28? How did they get a .28? I realize that I marched in the '70s and that things were different then, but how did you lose a 100th of a point??

Easy ... long division ... no calculators ... LOL ... each field caption had 2 judges ... GE had three judges ... so ... here's a possibility:

M&M ... 20.0 + 20.1 = 40.1 / 2 = 20.05

Horns 15.5 + 15.7 = 31.2 / 2 = 15.60

Drums 16.1 + 17.1 = 33.2 / 2 = 16.60

GE 7.9+8.1+8.2 = 24.1 / 3 = 8.03

Insp 10.00

Cadence 10.00

Total 80.28

(sorry the colums don't line up ... but you get the idea)

Edited by ajlisko

You're right. Why didn't I remember that? Must be slipping in my old age. :doh:

Easy ... long division ... no calculators ... LOL ... each field caption had 2 judges ... GE had three judges ... so ... here's a possibility:

M&M ... 20.0 + 20.1 = 40.1 / 2 = 20.05

Horns 15.5 + 15.7 = 31.2 / 2 = 15.60

Drums 16.1 + 17.1 = 33.2 / 2 = 16.60

GE 7.9+8.1+8.2 = 24.1 / 3 = 8.03

Insp 10.00

Cadence 10.00

Total 80.28

(sorry the colums don't line up ... but you get the idea)

Glenn,

No one is facing backfield. Look at the feet.

F

Thanks for stepping up to the plate on this one Ironlips. Your great attention to detail tells the truth. It also got me to thinking that I have another gem from that era to solidify the findings. I'm convinced it's the Cavies and this clip also proves they were facing front and center.

This is from 1967 AL Nat's and at 3:12 you can clearly see the Cavies turning around and there's no white cross sash on the back of the uniform top, as there is on the front in the picture in question. All's good in DreamLand.

Go figure, I miss one Dream in my years of marching and 46 years later it comes back to haunt me.

This one is my personal favorite, enjoy:

Edited by gsksun4