1966 Dream, SAC Retreat

Thanks for stepping up to the plate on this one Ironlips. Your great attention to detail tells the truth. It also got me to thinking that I have another gem from that era to solidify the findings. I'm convinced it's the Cavies and this clip also proves they were facing front and center.

This is from 1967 AL Nat's and at 3:12 you can clearly see the Cavies turning around and there's no white cross sash on the back of the uniform top, as there is on the front in the picture in question. All's good in DreamLand.

Go figure, I miss one Dream in my years of marching and 36 years later it comes back to haunt me.

This one is my personal favorite, enjoy:

My only problem with it being Chicago is that the cross sash in the 66 video is going from the left shoulder to right hip rather than the right shoulder to left hip in 67 (and all other years in the 60's) ... I'll have to check my old DCN's over the weekend to see if there are some other pics ...

Andy "drinkin' wine and readin' old DCN's on a Sat afternoon" Lisko

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only problem with it being Chicago is that the cross sash in the 66 video is going from the left shoulder to right hip rather than the right shoulder to left hip in 67 (and all other years in the 60's) ... I'll have to check my old DCN's over the weekend to see if there are some other pics ...

Andy "drinkin' wine and readin' old DCN's on a Sat afternoon" Lisko

Well now that you mention that, you're right Andy. Another great catch. Not only that, but the Cavies guard wore white tops and wouldn't they have been up front on retreat? Then again, looks like St. Lucy's has horns on the turf up front.

The right side of retreat for the Dream was usually in a shadow, hence the darkness of this video, so maybe it's not the Cavies at all. Also, the line-up of drum majors accepting awards shows all jr. majors on the left with the Cavies DM moving back in line 2nd in from the left, just before SAC accepts 1st place.

Would be nice if we had a complete field picture of that retreat.

Edited by gsksun4

Well now that you mention that, you're right Andy. Another great catch. Not only that, but the Cavies guard wore white tops and wouldn't they have been up front on retreat? Then again, looks like St. Lucy's has horns on the turf up front.

The right side of retreat for the Dream was usually in a shadow, hence the darkness of this video, so maybe it's not the Cavies at all. Also, the line-up of drum majors accepting awards shows all jr. majors on the left with the Cavies DM moving back in line 2nd in from the left, just before SAC accepts 1st place.

Would be nice if we had a complete field picture of that retreat.

St. Lucy's "passed in review" before BS and then split their corps to form a gate and cheer them on as BS marched through ... a rare moment of commoraderie (sp) between the two signifying BS's victory over Chicago (who was slightly stunned at losing) ...

Andy "that much I remember" Lisko

Edited by ajlisko

St. Lucy's "passed in review" before BS and then split their corps to form a gate and cheer them on as BS marched through ... a rare moment of commoraderie (sp) between the two signifying BS's victory over Chicago (who was slightly stunned at losing) ...

Andy "that much I remember" Lisko

Rare moment indeed. That's why the Dream was the Dream and the rest were, well, the rest.

Hoping you find a 66 retreat picture in your DCN collection.

Guys

Sorry to butt in on the discussion. Been following this thread as I love these stories from the 60's. The subject video clip is terrific.

I believe the corps in question may be the Madison Scouts. I wasn't at the Dream show but saw Madison many times that summer, including at VFW. They wore dark green cadet unis with shakos and white plumes, white cross sash (left shoulder to right hip), and white bucks, which seems to match the corps in the video. See post 20413 in the historical photos thread for an earlier version (with black shoes). Not sure, but it's fun to speculate.

Thanks for the history lesson.

Guys

Sorry to butt in on the discussion. Been following this thread as I love these stories from the 60's. The subject video clip is terrific.

I believe the corps in question may be the Madison Scouts. I wasn't at the Dream show but saw Madison many times that summer, including at VFW. They wore dark green cadet unis with shakos and white plumes, white cross sash (left shoulder to right hip), and white bucks, which seems to match the corps in the video. See post 20413 in the historical photos thread for an earlier version (with black shoes). Not sure, but it's fun to speculate.

Thanks for the history lesson.

Bob, no reason to be sorry and welcome to the thread. I missed that Dream also but adding Madison to the possible mix is an interesting thought. There's a 66 Madison Scouts Wi. State AL parade pic on CorpsReps that matches your description. TomKaye in post #4 didn't mention Madison in the line-up that day, but they were in town for the 66 VFW Nats.

Possibly as another exhibition corps? Maybe someone else can verify.

Edited by gsksun4

Bob, no reason to be sorry and welcome to the thread. I missed that Dream also but adding Madison to the possible mix is an interesting thought. There's a 66 Madison Scouts Wi. State AL parade pic on CorpsReps that matches your description. TomKaye in post #4 didn't mention Madison in the line-up that day, but they were in town for the 66 VFW Nats.

Possibly as another exhibition corps? Maybe someone else can verify.

Don't think so ... I read all the DCN articles on the Dream and there was no mention of Madison ... St. Andrew's was the exhibition corps that day ...

This is a good mystery, worthy of Holmes or Morse.

Question: Were the Carver Gay Blades still on the field in '66? I know many members had joined the Sunrisers that season (Gene Bennett, Duke Jordan, Soupy Cephus...etc.), but perhaps they still had a corps and made an exhibition appearance at the Dream.

I could be wrong, but I don't think we saw Uncle Nick on LI until '67, so maybe...