John Brazale Best Visual Award Tie

Okay; I now have the official response from the DCI office. An order is being placed for a replica plaque...the person who responded to me adding, "...as we always do when something like this occurs."

Therefore, one can safely conclude there was a tie for the Brazale Award, circumstances amid the confusion resulted in more confusion, a trophy will be sent to Blue Devils and now that we've been through this for the first time since the tie rule was modified in 2009, everyone has learned from the experience.

Congratulations to both Carolina Crown and Blue Devils for this impressive achievement! :thumbup:

• Like 5

No it is not correct. I'll eat crow, If anyone can show any proof. Not just conjecture.

1735916458_1240605367_eating_crow_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

:tongue:

:devil:

• Like 2

Okay; I now have the official response from the DCI office. An order is being placed for a replica plaque...the person who responded to me adding, "...as we always do when something like this occurs."

So is DCI saying the statements made by the announcer right before they announced the caption results must have been incorrect. They clearly stated that caption awards were averages between the three nights. In the event of a tie in the caption average result, the tie breaker would be the corps with the highest score in that caption on finals night.

Can someone confirm exactly what the policy and scoring criteria was on finals night? I have reread these threads many times and seem to still come away not knowing this fundamental answer. I may just simply be crazy and not see what is right in front of my eyes.

So is DCI saying the statements made by the announcer right before they announced the caption results must have been incorrect. They clearly stated that caption awards were averages between the three nights. In the event of a tie in the caption average result, the tie breaker would be the corps with the highest score in that caption on finals night.

Can someone confirm exactly what the policy and scoring criteria was on finals night? I have reread these threads many times and seem to still come away not knowing this fundamental answer. I may just simply be crazy and not see what is right in front of my eyes.

The text, saved in a file of some sort, was inadvertently never updated after the rules change in 2009, and no one, including me, caught it before now.

PS: The following is extracted from my #12 post in this thread:

In 2001, a rule was passed that eliminated ties. In 2009, George Hopkins made a motion at the Rules Congress to eliminate the rule that eliminated ties. This came up suddenly, during the event, and it was unanimously approved by all the directors.

The script handed to Brandt was one thing that had not been changed over the years and no one (including me) caught it.

So, the answer is: Yes, ties are allowed in the caption awards, despite what Brandt announced earlier because he read exactly what was given to him.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 2

In 2001, a rule was passed that eliminated ties. In 2009, George Hopkins made a motion at the Rules Congress to eliminate the rule that eliminated ties. This came up suddenly, during the event, and it was unanimously approved by all the directors.

According to this page on dci.org, there's a deadline for submitting rules changes, months ahead of the January conference. Did that not apply to this item?

According to this page on dci.org, there's a deadline for submitting rules changes, months ahead of the January conference. Did that not apply to this item?

The deadline is mostly for those who wish to submit proposals for the directors to ponder and consider. This particular proposal, although spur-of-the-moment, was so agreeable to all the voting members that there was no debate before acceptance.

The deadline is mostly for those who wish to submit proposals for the directors to ponder and consider. This particular proposal, although spur-of-the-moment, was so agreeable to all the voting members that there was no debate before acceptance.

This kind of knocks the general public out of the process. I completely understand why, but it does remove fans and alumni from the process.

1.1 Any instructional member or corps director of an active drum corps (must have competed in a DCI sanctioned show) the previous summer or an active judge of a DCI accredited judging association may submit a rules proposal for review by the Rules Committee

It would be nice for the paying fans to be able throw suggestions in a suggestion box. But I guess this is not a restaurant.

Edited by Kevin Powell

Just start a dialogue with some corps directors if you are that serious about a proposal, I'm sure many have an open ear.

This kind of knocks the general public out of the process. I completely understand why, but it does remove fans and alumni from the process.

It would be nice for the paying fans to be able throw suggestions in a suggestion box. But I guess this is not a restaurant.

Why? Anyone with an Internet connection can get the e-mail address for any director and can then send them an inquiry to learn if they would be interested.

Why? Anyone with an Internet connection can get the e-mail address for any director and can then send them an inquiry to learn if they would be interested.

true... like dealing with congress, you need to find a senator that supports your cause.