Cassette recordings from the stands vs. DCI professional audio.

Linda,

I'll never forget the '76 Oakland Crusaders. Since we were talking about Stillwater, the Crusaders were there, and then went to Whitewater the next day.

They had a terrible breakdown in their opener (Swan Lake) at Whitewater finals. One side was literally a full measure ahead of the other side.

I couldn't believe I was seeing (and hearing) that in such a great corps, in the month of August.

I did record Stillwater and Whitewater in '76, but those have long disappeared.

Oh my and I wasn’t there. I was Kitchener-Waterloo! The reason why I declined a request to be DM for Seneca Optimists in May 1976 was that I applied for the CJA M&M Judge Training Program. I found a letter a few months ago from the M&M Caption Chief. The letter, dated May 26 1976, said I had to get 3 references in the caption, one from a judge, an instructor and a corps director. The exam was before a contest in Ajax June 19, 1976 and trials and a clinic was before, during and after a contest in Kitchener July 18, 1976. I also judged Junior C or D in Waterloo on September 4, 1976, then put on my Oakland Crusaders uniform and marched later that day.

I was an instructor for Dutch Boy Cadets 1976 and made a few notes (I was too busy to write a lot). ‘May long weekend camp with Dutch Boy at Burlington; Russ and I taught drill up to middle of first drum solo’. I was marching with Oakland Crusaders July 31 in Madison and August 4 in Milwaukee for the Big V. After the show I took a Greyhound ‘all by myself’ from Milwaukee to Chicago to Detroit to Toronto and arrived in Kitchener August 5 (kinda scary trip).

I have one log entry dated August 6, 1976 ‘at a Kitchener restaurant, stayed with Palmers last night, stay with Grubers tonight…got back to Kitchener from Milwaukee, was touring with Oakland Crusaders, start tour with Dutch Boy Cadets soon to Butler and Marion. I toured with Oakland in Wisconsin and saw Phantom Regiment, Blue Devils, Santa Clara Vanguard, Madison Scouts, Cavaliers, all very fine drum corps…I marched the shows without a flagpole but feel I can march Marion on August 13 with a flagpole…I phoned my Mom in Toronto and she flipped when I told her I’d be home August 23rd’.

I was a marching member, drill writer, guard instructor and M&M judge in one summer and missed being in Stillwater August 6 (thanks for the audio;) and Whitewater August 7, 1976. I couldn’t be at 2 places at the same time although I wished I could. Sorry I was long winded. I got help on how to upload CDs; now I’ll be trying to figure how to upload DVDs, might take a while :smile: and found a few more photos but can't login to photobucket; yikes!

Wish I knew where my cassette went to....1974 NT Open....Squires, Regimente Militaire, Cavaliers,Argonne Rebels and Toronto Optimists.

Wish I knew where my cassette went to....1974 NT Open....Squires, Regimente Militaire, Cavaliers,Argonne Rebels and Toronto Optimists.

House and garage cleaning is where I found my stuff. Get it; do those chores! lol

• 5 weeks later...

You can probably hear me cheering on that recording. The Blue Devils spent quite a few days in Stillwater that year, and I was there literally every second.

They polished their show into the championship model it became during those long practice days in Minnesota.

It was that week that I met a young soprano player.......oh yeah, it was Dave Gibbs (now director). Also became friends with guard member Lee Doebler, who also won 4 DCI Championship titles.

We continued as pen pals for another 6 years. Had great visits with Jerry Seawright, and saw how the corps loved teasing Bonnie Ott.

While I don't know about if cassettes are "better" than the CD or now digitized recordings I have a couple hundred "In the Stands" recordings that both myself and my buddy Aldo Cunningham (RIP) made over the years. Once cleaned up and the hiss is removed I will say they sound just as good. It was a crying shame that DCI had imposed the no recording rule in as much as all those smaller corps who never made the Top 20 or 25 really didn't have a recording of their corps unless someone "sneaked" in a recorder. But back to the topic...as has been said position is everything in getting a good in the stands recording.

One of the more interesting cassette tapes I recorded was late at night after Phantom won the 1979 DCI Midwest (Whitewater). That was the first year they rented out dorm rooms

for spectators, and I kept my recorder running at about 1:00 a.m. There were LOTS of people who were upset with Phantom winning that night, and you should hear all the stuff they were yelling

in the courtyard next to the dorm. I really can't post any of them on here. Interesting piece of history now, though.

Wonder if people were upset about the spread as much as who won. Spirit won prelims by .35, Phantom won finals by 3.05! Must be an interesting story (or 5) there.

Wonder if people were upset about the spread as much as who won. Spirit won prelims by .35, Phantom won finals by 3.05! Must be an interesting story (or 5) there.

Let's just say there were factions of fans (of other corps) who didn't particularly like Phantom that year. It was the first anti-Phantom display I had ever seen, (and I first saw Phantom before they were even a DCI finalist). Some of those fans wore shirts that read, "I stayed awake during Phantom's show" and other related sayings.

I know Spirit was really dejected when they lost finals. I walked out of the stadium with quite a few of the members (mostly young ladies from the color guard ):rolleyes:.

I especially remember one named Laura (formerly with the Devil Dogs) who was greatly distraught.

• 1 month later...

Yes I was a member of Spirit of Atlanta in '79, '80 and '81. We were kind of wondering how we could win prelims and then Phantom must have practiced every second between prelims and finals to jump and beat us by over three points. Oh well, we got them in 1980. However some people did not get to march '80....

Cubeth