Each Corps number of age- outs ?

I'll be here all day...and probably tomorrow.

- Capt. Obvious

Ok, Capt'in.

Regiment had ~40 age-outs.

Pic shows 44, I believe.

Indeed. I was estimating off of the top of my head last time.

You were pretty close.

I'm not sure what these numbers mean anymore. In the case of lower corps, a low number of age-outs more than likely means that their kids are aging-out elsewhere. And with the upper corps, a high age-out number means that vets from other corps keep walking in the door and aging-out there. In the middle we probably see -- well -- numbers in the middle with a higher count of age-outs than the lower corps but still losing some kids who age-out (maybe rook-out) in the upper corps. It would certainly be interesting to see stats which reflected all this movement but I doubt corps would be anxious to release it. I can imagine a graph with directional connections between all the corps that indicate transfer volume. Additionally it's becoming more and more common to take one or more years off during a marching career.

Anyway I don't think age-out numbers mean a whole lot anymore. I guess they're a guide for where you might get a spot if you're considering auditioning at a higher corps. But a small (or large) age-out class just doesn't have the same meaning as in the past.

It could work both ways at the same time. Quite a few Surf alumni age out in other corps, but at least half of this year's class were rook-outs. Two of those rook-outs came to Surf after almost a combined decade of marching in Open Class and DCA.

Edited by MetalTones2012