Not entirely sure where to post this..

So I just received my Drum Corps jacket yesterday. And I have many patches that I've bought over the years and also the ones from this year.

My question is I collected patches from years I didn't march like 2011 and 2010 and I also march WGI and I have patches from there too. Is it weird to have those patches on my corps jacket? Because for the WGI ones my group has no jacket. To me having a jacket for WGI is kind of weird but I digress. Is it weird to have patches from years I didn't march and from WGI on my drum corps jacket? I know someone who marched Vanguard and Blue Devils and she has her Vanguard patches on her BD jacket.

Also does anyone know when are the 2012 DCI patches going on sale? I didn't have money at the time to buy them :/

It's YOUR jacket, do whatever you want. I do not believe that there are any rules. However, if it was me, I would not put on a patch of an event that I did not participate in.

• Like 9

Do what you want. Ask vets from your corps what they did with patches like WGI.

As for previous years, don't put them on your jacket. It's kind of like false advertising. I think of a patched jacked like a drum corps resume, and you don't want to lie- people will call you out and it's not cool.

• Like 1

It is always good to ask questions if you don't know the established etiquette.

In general, if someone sees a patch on your jacket, they will assume you you were a member of that organization in that year.

This is not written in stone, but I believe it is typical for one to assume such when seeing someone's jacket.

You may wish to consider taking the patches you bought that don't traditionally belong on your jacket and placing them in a picture frame and hanging it in your room. That way, you can relive the joy those shows brought to you as a fan, and you won't be concerned about what anyone else thinks if they were in those corps those years and know you didn't march then.

If someone is aware of the assumed etiquette having changed since I marched, please enlighten me about the contemporary standards for such things. Thank you.

• Like 3

Do what you want. Ask vets from your corps what they did with patches like WGI.

As for previous years, don't put them on your jacket. It's kind of like false advertising. I think of a patched jacked like a drum corps resume, and you don't want to lie- people will call you out and it's not cool.

Ah ok that makes sense I didn't see it as a resume. Yeah I'll keep those patches off then.

Do people usually put WGI patches on drum corps jackets? I mean I want to put them on somewhere because I'm very proud of them. I march at San Diego State University for WGI so I COULD put those patches on one of the school sweaters that I have. Will that work?

Not especially related, but the corps I marched has a no-patches-on-your-jacket policy.

Ultimately it is up to you, of course, but I can give you my perspective on the current etiquette as a (very) recent ageout.

I wouldn't put patches from years you didn't march. Whoever called it "false advertising" was spot-on. As something generally available only to the membership, corps jackets are something very special and treasured, like the gears/beads/crowns/deltas/etc that so many people wear around their necks. Not only would it be a sort of "false advertising" on your part, but members who marched those years and know you didn't might resent you for putting that on the jacket. I know I'd raise an eyebrow if I saw someone do it for the corps and years that I marched.

For the WGI patches, that's more of an "at your discretion" thing. Personally, I think it'd be cool to have all your patches on one jacket if they fit, but I also know some people who keep them separate.

For what it's worth, you don't always have to have all your patches on there! I haven't put any on my corps jacket yet, and I don't plan to put any of the regional patches on. I'm just going to put my 4 finalist patches on once I get a replacement for 2011 (lost mine on the way home from finals :unhappy: ). My thinking is that it'll be visually neater and less cluttered that way, and maybe make it something I'm more likely to wear instead of hanging in a closet forever.

Edited by CrownStarr