25 years later

Not a big fan of Phantom. Loved the 89 show, but the music hasn't aged well, in my opinion (with the exception of Masquerade, which is a great song).

I would love to see SCV to play Phantom of the Opera again, and what better way to do it than there 25th anniversery of the 1989 Championship winning show. Would you also love to hear it again?

as much as I would like to hear and see that exact show again, that is not what we would get. Now, if they simply played those selections, using 1988/89 arrangement, as encores all summer...that would be rad.

rehash shows don't work. SCV used to carry sections of shows over from one year to the next on aregular basis. Not entire shows, but a selection or two. But, noone doesthat anymore and this is 25 years later.

We tried a throwback show in 1992. It worked on many levels, but a throwbak requires a huge amount of conviction and buy-in from everyone. From the top of the staff thru the rookies on the field. We were ultimately unable to get that from everyone in 1992 and the end result was a show that was not quite what was advertised in the spring. And Gale Royer was still there. As much as I respect Fiedler, I don't think anyone other than Gale would be able to fully pull off that type of show.

If it does happen, I would fear great disappointment,

Why can I only give this one green plus? This deserves at least 50. :worthy:

The chop and bop must die....

OK. That point is impossible to argue against. Gotta agree with you on the displeasure I get from choppiness and boppines. Maybe I should rethink.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to see the corps do it as it was originally going to be done in 1992. When I phoned Gail Royer for info for the DCI program book, he told me, (and this is probably pretty close to an exact quote), "We're going to need an extra truck for all the theatrical stuff we're going to put on the field." Somewhere along the line, the show kept being stripped down and the guard ended up with a single set of flags. I had dinner with an SCV staff member friend in Madison during the week of Championships and he thought the show first lost its soul (his opinion...I wasn't around SCV in the early season) when the staff dumped "Anatevka."

A show that was conceived for Gail's last season—the corps' 25th anniversary—to be a massive costumed Cecil B. DeMille spectacular ended up as a bare-bones production, as if the staff kept trying to get to the very essence of the music and didn't want anything else in the way.

I've long thought about what might happen if the original concept was brought to the field.

absolutely correct. We were being told about the massive undertaking of the 1992 show even while the 1991 show was being put on the field. We wore white uniforms in 1991 just so the traditional red would pop again in 1991.

Then as 1992 progressed more and more things were either taken out or abandonded before they even got started. There were a lot of contributing negative factors. The staff was fighting bitterly ALL summer. Gale was sick and not able to keep control of things like he had done so well for 24 years prior. I can't speak for the horns and gaurd, but we in the drumline were very good, but we had terrible attitudes. Just look through that line and count the number of future caption heads that were there. It was rediculous. But, in the end, it was also somewhat of a fiasco. Luckily, there was enough inherent talent in the staff and in the corps that Fiddler mostly worked OK. But, it was not even close to what it was supposed to be.

I fear that a tribute show (of sorts) would turn in to a re-mix instead. And re-mixes rarely retain the right spirit.

I dunno.

You may very well be right, but there was nothing disappointing to me about Phantom's '08 Spartacus.

very true. I'll back track and say rehash shows are difficult to pull off.