Congratulations to Carolina Gold!

UNCGQ

I don’t take to the interwebs often to ramble about my thoughts, but I did want to take this opportunity to use a few different outlets to publicly congratulate Carolina Gold Drum & Bugle Corps on their first DCA World Championship.

As with every great achievement, this process has been many years in the making and those who are most to credit, are not those who are the most visible to be thanked. The corps was formed in the fall of 2000 and it has been a long journey to this point. Without those who came before, and sacrificed mightily, the corps would have not survived its darkest days to see this 'Golden' day.

To all Carolina Gold alumni, former educational, administrative and support staff, this one’s for you! Thank you beyond words. You were in our thoughts this weekend and I hope you feel as happy and proud of this edition of the corps as the ones you were a directly involved in.

To the 2012 ‘edition’ of the corps, words can’t express this ride. From the members to the educational and support staff to the administration, this season was by no means easy, or the result assured. It was only because of the tremendous efforts of all those involved to sacrifice and fight for the greater good of the corps, that we can call ourselves DCA World Champions. It would have been very easy to check-out on the season and coast to the end; instead, the corps took us all on a magical ride starting with their performance in Reading and simply rode the wave of energy through Championships weekend.

I don’t think any of us involved can pinpoint what it was that was responsible for the energy in Reading that night, but it was the moment where a corps came together and luckily, we all got to watch it together, on the field, in front of an amazing drum corps crowd. The corps came off the field that night and rode that RUSH all the way through re-writing the end of the show on Saturday, a rained out rehearsal and the ridiculous weather that was present all weekend.

They took everything thrown at them this season, said ‘we got this’, and came out the other side to something magical and memorable.

I also want to take this opportunity to thank all those other competing corps’ who made this an amazing weekend. It was perhaps the actions and congratulations of our peers that made the weekend complete. From being able to split the end zone with Windsor Regiment, who are an amazing groups of folks who made some great improvements over the course of the season, to Fusion Core who went out of their way to congratulate our members as we came off the field at Finals. It’s the support and congratulations of directors and corps’ like that that make this activity strong and a worthwhile endeavor. We make a lot out of ‘competition’, but it makes it all the more sweet to look across the end zone or tunnel and to have a great respect and admiration for those who we compete against and those we hope to one day be.

Before I conclude, let me not forget to congratulate the Reading Buccaneers. Yours is an organization that inspires us and serves the marker for what we all hope and aim to someday be. Your organization is a class act on every level, and we were beyond pleased just to be able to share the field with you in celebration Sunday night!

In conclusion, it’s been an amazing ride and I wake up every day incredibly lucky to be surrounded by this amazing group of people.

To all of you, it was a night we'll remember for the rest of our lives, thank you for allowing me to be a part of it.

Larry Harper, Jr.

Executive Director

Carolina Gold Drum & Bugle Corps

Edited by UNCGQ
  • Like 2

On behalf of the entire Sun Devils organization, I would like to congratulate the members, staff, volunteers, and alumni of the Carolina Gold Drum and Bugle Corps on your 2012 DCA Class A Championship! It has been a long time coming. As someone who has seen your rise from the very beginning, I have always been a fan. From way back when I met Dana and Alby, to recently with Big Country, I knew CG was filled with people that have passion. Your passion was finally realized this past weekend.

Enjoy your well deserved win! I look forward to seeing you on the field in 2013.

• Like 1

On behalf of the Govenaires, congrats from all of us. :thumbup::thumbup:. Days like this don't happen enough, so don't be afaid to smile alot.

..and thanks for the lesson :worthy::worthy::worthy:

• Like 1

Gosh, Larry, those are some exceptionally generous words, and we appreciate them very much. Congratulations to you and everyone at Carolina Gold for your achievements this year! You really gave a great show to the crowd at Big Sounds in Motion and it obviously carried over to Annapolis! Best wishes for a successful off-season....see you on the field in 2013!

Congratulations Larry and all at Carolina Gold!

And thanks for the kind words about Windsor Regiment. It was a pleasure sharing the field with you and your corps as well!

See you in December.

Hi Larry,

We were so incredibly happy for you Sunday night!!! I enjoyed getting to know you over the summer and between you, Shedwick and the rest of your team, I think you're Corps is in really good hands. You guys really care about the corps and it shows.

Gold always pushed Fusion......ALWAYS.......HAHAHA.....we are all so fortunate to have incredibly solid competition in both A and Open!!!

See you soon my friend!!!

Congratulations to Carolina Gold on a Championship well deserved from the Entire White Sabers Family!! Awesome show, Awesome Corps.... Awesome People!! It was an honor to compete against you.......... You are a Class Act!!

Leslie Amico, Director

White Sabers Drum Corps