Stagger Breathing

I was just asked to open a discussion up on different stagger breathing techniques.

The way that I learned was to take a breath before you needed it. Decrescendo out to nothing, and crescendoing back in on an air attack. I always believed that was a pretty universal thing.

I learned last year that the Blue Stars were taught just to breathe and re articulate. Also looking at some BD headcam videos, they did the same way.

Any other schools of thoughts? Which do you think is better?

Listening to audio recordings it's pretty obvious that some corps don't teach the "fade out, fade in" technique that you mentioned. Sometimes it just sounds like DAHHHHHHHHH*BREATH*DAHHHHHHHHHHH. Sounds awful to me. And rearticulating as opposed to an air attack just seems like bad brass technique. Tonguing in the middle of a whole note means you now have two half notes. And if that's not what the arranger wrote or what the rest of the ensemble is playing then by every measure it's wrong as far as I can tell.

I much prefer your way as that's the way I learned it, and that's what I teach to my high school brass players.

Edited by Beckham
  • Like 1

Re articulate at the same volume when coming back in? I sure as heck hope not.

I about cried when i found out

• Like 1

And rearticulating as opposed to an air attack just seems like bad brass technique. Tonguing in the middle of a whole note means you now have two half notes. And if that's not what the arranger wrote or what the rest of the ensemble is playing then by every measure it's wrong as far as I can tell.

Agreed.

So its confirmed BS used this technique? And If so do you know their reasoning behing it?

Yup. I have no idea what the reason behind it is. I cant even think of why you would want to do it that way.

• Like 1

I was just asked to open a discussion up on different stagger breathing techniques.

The way that I learned was to take a breath before you needed it. Decrescendo out to nothing, and crescendoing back in on an air attack. I always believed that was a pretty universal thing.

I learned last year that the Blue Stars were taught just to breathe and re articulate. Also looking at some BD headcam videos, they did the same way.

Any other schools of thoughts? Which do you think is better?

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/153440-staff-changes/page__view__findpost__p__3217335

Please open a thread in the Brass Forum or I'll make you go to Color Guard Planet; oops was that my guard/drum major voice? Brass is where it's at! :smile: