Glassmen

I believe the corps is going to be just fine. What you perceive as secrecy, others may well see as the corps' normal way of operating...which is to wait until everything is finalized before sending out press releases. Not that long ago, it was a topic here about corps that seem to send out a press release whenever a staff member stubs a toe. That's not the case with Glassmen.

The corps has a rock solid foundation, the result of years of nurturing financial security and infrastructure. And they have always treated their members quite well. I would have no problem encouraging prospective members to check them out. The instructional staff runs tryouts, and they'll be sure the word gets out about dates and locations.

I would also have no problem giving an enthusiastic thumbs up to any parents that asked about the organization.

What we might perceive as a lack of transparency regarding day-to-day operations of the corps just means that they will announce everything in a timeframe that they feel is appropriate. Management, staff and members seem to subscribe to the same ideology regarding letting time taking its course.

When they find the next person they trust to guide the organization into the near future, I'm confident we'll all know about it.

I would agree that the Glassmen have always been a class organization and that they treat their kids VERY well and they ALWAYS get fed very, very well. No problems there. However the almost automatic response that there is no problem at Gmen is like saying "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain". Where's there's smoke there may be fire. How many great corps were here today and gone tomorrow due to issues unknown to the drum corps community? And lately corps have been even unable to finish the season. That 800 lb gorilla in the room called "financial issues" is going to claim even more corps in the near future. I'm not saying that this will be the case with Glassmen but then again don't be surprised that ANY corps could find themselves not on the field.

I agree with Michael Boo. The Glassmen have always operated in a very private manner. They aren't big on news and press releases. Their website has always been one of the least informative in World Class.

But while that sentiment is true, that does not mean there isn't cause for concern. It just means we never knew much before, and we don't know much now.

Good luck to them.

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 1

I don't believe I'm revealing anything too earth shattering, but merely passing along some information that helped assure me things were continuing in the right direction for the corps. As was mentioned, Sal seems to be running things currently, and that's okay by anyone who's EVER been around him. The loss of BH, like any time an organization goes through a change, is met with different opinions. Personally, I've always gone out of my way to speak to Brian, and pick his brain, and I appreciated the way he ran the corps. I used to thank him as a member for running my corps until I was ready to take it over from him. So far, nobody from Toledo has contacted me about it being my turn to run the corps. :tongue:

Things seem to be headed towards another solid year for the Glassmen. Sal and many familiar names are meeting and doing some design work. For me, it was many of the names I feel have been important for the Glassmen over the past few years, and will present a stability and workman like attitude that the corps is accustomed to. Things will be the same or better for the Glassmen. I feel confident in that. \^/

• Like 1

I don't believe I'm revealing anything too earth shattering, but merely passing along some information that helped assure me things were continuing in the right direction for the corps. As was mentioned, Sal seems to be running things currently, and that's okay by anyone who's EVER been around him. The loss of BH, like any time an organization goes through a change, is met with different opinions. Personally, I've always gone out of my way to speak to Brian, and pick his brain, and I appreciated the way he ran the corps. I used to thank him as a member for running my corps until I was ready to take it over from him. So far, nobody from Toledo has contacted me about it being my turn to run the corps. :tongue:

Things seem to be headed towards another solid year for the Glassmen. Sal and many familiar names are meeting and doing some design work. For me, it was many of the names I feel have been important for the Glassmen over the past few years, and will present a stability and workman like attitude that the corps is accustomed to. Things will be the same or better for the Glassmen. I feel confident in that. \^/

Matt, if they ever decide to make some kind of a G-Press Secretary, you're my nomination :thumbup:

Matt, if they ever decide to make some kind of a G-Press Secretary, you're my nomination :thumbup:

Seconded. Always spot on :worthy:

Thanks guys!! I stand by an organization that means the world to me. Maybe Janet will bring me in as a PR guy haha. BUT... New news outta Toledo after just posting last night. There's a new interim director!!!

David Stinson has been brought in as an Interim Director. Looks to me like a great asset in the Ohio area which is a major recruiting area for the Glassmen. They are still a local based corps primarily and he has a lot to bring to the corps in this capacity. Look forward to seeing the ball roll into November auditions.

• Like 1

This little tagline really caught my attention:

"The Board of Directors look forward to working with Dave as we expand communications, refine financial operations, and develop a closer relationship with our alumni and supporters."

For a BoD that is typically cryptic, I think this is a big, waving flag that there will be changes coming in certain areas.