arrangements and member retention

We tried to fix our shows... but our arranger was too arrogant to work with anyone else. And our director too loyal I guess. Even when they let our brass caption head have more of a say with the book, he wasn't actually allowed to have a say.

There are a ton of great brass arrangers out there... just no one is willing to give anyone a try. And they are too busy trying to please friends and such. Seriously, ask someone who actually knows about arranging for drum corps, and then ask for recommendations Just because the arranger worked for a couple of BOA shows doesn't mean a #### thing. It is pretty bad when the brass bus actually found joy in making fun of our awful arrangements by the time we get on the busses for tour after spring training. Some funny videos floating around somewhere actually... haha.

At least were able to bond on it, and manage to make a good time out of things.

FORTE piano crescendo whole note STAB! Ostinato starts on the stab.... oh... and it's B naturals, and Gbs and ####. That's bottom of the staff, on a euph... all short, all fortissimo, and let's not forget..... DOUBLED BY THE ####### SYNTH!!!!

Seriously, if I wasn't surrounded by awesome people and an awesome brass staff... I would have quit mid-season. Thought about it. But I pushed through.

I can't help but think that a corps veteran who one day realizes the show isn't to their liking, (arrangements, drill, whatever), and would leave over that is likely to come home one day and realize their spouse isn't the handsome/gorgeous, intelligent/witty, funny/exiting person they were earlier thought to have been. And in all likelihood, they would be right.

But if they looked in a mirror with total objectiveness, they might realize that neither are they as seen by their spouse.

Relationships take work, and by the same token, so do corps loyalties. If a corps was worth joining in the first place, one's thoughts on the show shouldn't overwhelm one's loyalty to the corps with which they fell in love.

But if those thoughts did do so, I wonder if they would really be happy in any corps, given the time to let other variables annoy them. And...if they looked really hard in the mirror, might they also realize that they are not exactly the perfect corps member to being with?

Being a member of any corps should be an honor...a privilege. But that only happens when what one is willing to give to the corps exceeds the degree of what they expect to get out of it.

• Like 1

To be honest, I wasn't too enamored of the musical arrangements either year I marched, but they grew on me as the season progressed. Plus, the actual performance aspect of drum corps (though incredible) was not my primary reason for marching (or returning for a second season).

• Like 1

FORTE piano crescendo whole note STAB! Ostinato starts on the stab.... oh... and it's B naturals, and Gbs and ####. That's bottom of the staff, on a euph... all short, all fortissimo, and let's not forget..... DOUBLED BY THE ####### SYNTH!!!!

I had to look up both ostinato and stab on google, which brings up the point that just because one can detect a bad arrangement is no guarantee that one can do better...

But what's bad about the elements you describe here? I could follow the part in bold (thanks in part to wikipedia) and it sounded Ok in my head. (other than the synth, of course)

(By the way, shouldn't there be a forum for Creativity: Designing, Arranging, and Drill? I'd visit often. The Brass, etc. forums don't seem to attract these discussions much, they seem more about performance and/or the instrument itself.) smile.gif

Listen to Crossmen 2007 to 2010 and you wil hear plenty of examples of what I'm talking about.

And all of that stuff is usually discussed right here, you only have to start a topic! I think there are enough sub forums on this site to begin with! Lol