Auditioning for Phantom!

This is mostly to say how excited I am about my audition next month for a Euphonium spot with Phantom! It's also to express my nervousness about the audition. It's been a while since I've played regularly and it's getting frustrating get my chops back in shape. I auditioned for them 3 years ago and made it, but I had to drop out late March because of finances. This year will be my age out year so I REALLY want to make it again. I've been practicing almost every day for almost a month, trying to get my playing back in shape and it's slowly getting there. Anyone got any tips for major things to work on for my audition? Playing? Marching? anything? I was in the conductor auditions for half of the camp last time til I got cut, then i went to the hornline, so I don't know exactly what to expect.

This may sound like I'm offering a "duh" suggestion, but never go online to complain about anything that you witnessed at a camp. (I'm not referring to anything you've written here, as you have not complained about anything.) I bring this up for ALL auditionees because over the years, we on DCP have seen potential members complain about staff, or the hard work at camps, or expressing that they don't know if they can make it through the process. Never let them know you have any self-doubt.

Staff members want people who are optimistic, potential members who are aware of what they need to work on and whom express a willingness to work hard on improving. No one is so good that they can't improve on something.

I also would encourage you to not focus on the fact that you had to leave pre-season last year. They'll be aware of that. There's nothing wrong with mentioning to them when you go in that you've done all you can to work out the financial situation you experienced last year, and you are more than eager to give your all and hear suggestions on how you can improve. You will be far from the only one who has encountered such problems.

But the biggest piece of advice any of us can give to anyone auditioning for a corps is GO FOR IT!

• Like 2

But the biggest piece of advice any of us can give to anyone auditioning for a corps is GO FOR IT!

Don't listen to Boo. After three years in the cymbal line he auditioned me for the 1977 Cavalier tympani line. I figured it couldn't be that different since the second letter in cymbals and the second letter in tympani are both "y".

I didn't make the cut. He told me I tuned like a cymbal player.

It has taken me 35 years but I've forgiven you Mike. :smile:

Edit: Hey, I just noticed the third letter in both is "m". Also, "cymbals" and "tympani" both have 7 letters! Maybe I just missed the cut.

Edit: My audition was in Emerson Junior High School in Park Ridge. Hillary Clinton attended school there as a child. Maybe that is a factor in ... Maybe I think too much.

Edit: Emerson Junior High School was torn down and now a Senior home is on that site. Maybe that's a factor and I've been holding a grudge against Boo for no reason. I feel like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders! :thumbup:

Edit: I'm crushed. There's no "y" in "timpani"!

Edited by Cavie74

Thanks for the advice Boo! I've definitely planned ahead financially this time. I've been saving my money and I think I almost have enough to cover my dues if/WHEN I make it. I'm very determined to work my butt off to get in. I just hope I'm working my butt off on the right things. I got 2s on music and marching last time. I wish I could find my sheets to see what to work on. I could've sworn I kept them.