Valve oil?

Ch1k3n

Hello!

So my valve oil bottles are running dry, time for some new oil!

The trouble is I don't really know the options out there.

I'm using a King euph, those valves need some pretty good and constant oiling to keep them moving smoothly, and so far I've been using the standard Yamaha synthetic oil, that stuff that comes in the starter pack or whatever it's called. I've been quite pleased with it, it did the job ok, nothing special though.

I've got a bottle of Blue Juice, but it feels a little thin and too weak, I don't know how to say it. I haven't applied it in a while, because I liked the Yamaha stuff better, but from what I remember the oil felt a little thin. The canister has a picture of a trumpet on it though, don't know if it's made for trumpet valves, but...

I had the opportunity to use some that absolutely made my valves glorious. It was a white canister with a dropper, with green writing on it and a green dropper balloon at the top, the thing you use to build suction in the tube to bring the oil up, you know what I'm talking about :tongue:. I think the brand started with an H, not sure, but that was the best stuff ever. Just a couple drops and my valves felt new. It's starting to wear off though, and my third valve is now sticking a little bit.

Could it be that my horn needs to be flushed because there's too much grime in the tubings getting into the valve casing?

Anyways, what's your input on the best valve oil out there?

Thanks!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello!

So my valve oil bottles are running dry, time for some new oil!

The trouble is I don't really know the options out there.

I'm using a King euph, those valves need some pretty good and constant oiling to keep them moving smoothly, and so far I've been using the standard Yamaha synthetic oil, that stuff that comes in the starter pack or whatever it's called. I've been quite pleased with it, it did the job ok, nothing special though.

I've got a bottle of Blue Juice, but it feels a little thin and too weak, I don't know how to say it. I haven't applied it in a while, because I liked the Yamaha stuff better, but from what I remember the oil felt a little thin. The canister has a picture of a trumpet on it though, don't know if it's made for trumpet valves, but...

I had the opportunity to use some that absolutely made my valves glorious. It was a white canister with a dropper, with green writing on it and a green dropper balloon at the top, the thing you use to build suction in the tube to bring the oil up, you know what I'm talking about :tongue:. I think the brand started with an H, not sure, but that was the best stuff ever. Just a couple drops and my valves felt new. It's starting to wear off though, and my third valve is now sticking a little bit.

Could it be that my horn needs to be flushed because there's too much grime in the tubings getting into the valve casing?

Anyways, what's your input on the best valve oil out there?

Thanks!

I am a big fan of Blue Juice, it's worked for me pretty consistently. Though not in the utter cold, I'm discovering :tongue: Obviously that won't be an issue for corps, haha... I've used almost exclusively Yamahas so I have no idea if that has to do with anything, or being a tuba player. Just my two cents :)

The White Bottle with Green writing is Hetman. And the bottle you're describing sounds like rotary valve oil. But I could be wrong as I've only bought their rotary valve lubricants and tuning slide grease.

I use blue juice on my upright valves (marching horns/some concert horns) and Yamaha synthetic oil on front facing horns. It's worked pretty well for me, but the best oil out there is personal preference.

I'd really recommend a flush. When you start mixing oil based and synthetic and other valve oils things start to be less than happy in there and start gunking up more than the normal bit. Plus it never hurts!!

I have never liked Blue Juice, and find it not to be all that great. I still love the old stand by Al Cass, and Hetman synthetic oils are are FANTASTIC!!

I have to agree that Blue Juice is not all it's cracked up to be, and also with the idea of at least flushing your valves out with water if not having it professionally flushed before using a bunch of different kinds of oils. Having said that, Hetman is a fantastic oil, and I'd recommend either the light (#1) or classic (#3) piston oil. It's got really nice temperature tolerances and I've found that I don't need to use nearly as much, even on older valves like on the 20s-era sousaphone I do a lot of gigs on.

What the last two guys have said.

I would actually go as far as saying NEVER use Blue Juice.

And definitely flush that baby out somehow with water or get it professionally done.

I took care of my universities instruments over the past couple of the years. Before every fall semester they all get cleaned.

Well before I started doing this, the university supplied blue juice to the students to use on their valves as a courtesy. I don't even want to talk about the trouble I went through with just taking out the valves to clean the horn.

Anyway, since then we have used Al Cass or the Yamaha synthetic, and the valves have been in great shape by the end of the summer after sitting in the case all summer.

My final advice. Use what you like. Except the Blue crap. On my own instruments I use Hetman lubricants.

That can be helpful, but usually the best way to get the gunk out is to fill up your tub with warm water and some sort of mild detergent like dish soap. Take all the slides and valves out and let the body soak in the tub for a while. Take it out, dump the water out, oil/grease and reassemble, and most of what's inside should be left behind in the tub. Anything more serious than that, I'd take it to a reputable repair shop.