WWALD - What would a leader do?

The efforts of 40-plus years of struggles, accomplishments, some setbacks, musical excellence, life-affirming experiences and untold joy to thousands upon thousands of fans and marchers is certainly worth saving...and continuing to push forward.

It's amazing to me that for an activity that purports to be all about new ideas and innovation (when it comes to instrumentation and show design) we should suddenly fall on the "we've been doing it this way for forty years" canard to justify continued existence.

I'm not advocating the end of drum corps - it just appears that DCI is broken, per your highly appropriate quote below:

It's appropriate that the movie "Lincoln" has recently opened. His words speak true yet today. "A house divided against itself cannot stand."

• Like 2

But is it that "DCI is broken" or is it that we have a disagreement over how DCI should be run on a fundamental level? Just because a disagreement exists doesn't preclude those who disagree from being wrong or from their actions having far more detrimental effects than they could ever imagine. Throwing in the towel seems like the wrong way to go about this.

• Like 1

But is it that "DCI is broken" or is it that we have a disagreement over how DCI should be run on a fundamental level? Just because a disagreement exists doesn't preclude those who disagree from being wrong or from their actions having far more detrimental effects than they could ever imagine. Throwing in the towel seems like the wrong way to go about this.

I think they should roll up the towel and snap each other with it.

At least they learned to do THAT effectively.

But something tells me that most of these "leaders" forgot most of what they learned when they marched all those decades ago.

Not a very good example to set for the kids in their charge, IMO.

• Like 4

I must agree wholeheartedly.

Interesting point, but I wonder...where would that leave corps like Boston and Madison? One might argue that these and a handful of other corps are,in many respects on a par with at least some of the G7, both organizationally and in terms of market appeal....I don't claim to be unbiased here, but when I look the make up of some of the G7, those lines are not so black and white.

when the greedy 7 leave, dci will wither away and die, and the corps like the ones you mention might be offered, or might even have to beg for a place in the new world order,...........

• Like 1

I think they should roll up the towel and snap each other with it.

At least they learned to do THAT effectively.

But something tells me that most of these "leaders" forgot most of what they learned when they marched all those decades ago.

Not a very good example to set for the kids in their charge, IMO.

Yep.

Throwing in the towel would be to give up on drum corps. We see this with posts from people extolling the virtues of high school band over regional corps. I am in no way saying we give up on drum corps. I'm questioning the continued relevance of DCI - NOT the activity. I like some of Bawker's thoughts above.

Let the G7 go to pursue their own plans.

Assimilate the remaining DCI corps and DCA corps under a single roof with multiple divisions (Junior Open, Junior World, All-Age Open, All-Age World, etc.) and have a more regional (East/Mid-West/West Coast) touring schedule culminating with a year-end championships.

Keep in mind of all the 'affiliated' groups held up by the G7 such as BDB, SCV Cadets, etc. Where do you think they'll end up once the G7 breaks free? DCI? I imagine not.

There could be some 'cross-touring' for the junior corps running up to champs but the end result could be more shows which would have a more 'local/circuit' interest than sending everybody across the country all summer.

I'd still pay money to see a show with Bucs, Cabs, Spirit of Atlanta, Jersey Surf and Boston all in one place.

You would cut the number of shows yes, but you'd cut down the number of shows which lose money and draw no fans on Wednesday nights as well as travel.

Use the corps as educational vehicles for the local schools they stay at more than currently is done.

Lots of logistics to be sure, and a change in the way of life, but is really anybody better served by seeing 'lower-tier' corps stretched beyond their means on a regular basis?

Have fewer, but better shows.

Enough rambling without any homework into the logistics of it all ;)

• Like 2

Let the G7 go to pursue their own plans.

Assimilate the remaining DCI corps and DCA corps under a single roof with multiple divisions (Junior Open, Junior World, All-Age Open, All-Age World, etc.) and have a more regional (East/Mid-West/West Coast) touring schedule culminating with a year-end championships.

Keep in mind of all the 'affiliated' groups held up by the G7 such as BDB, SCV Cadets, etc. Where do you think they'll end up once the G7 breaks free? DCI? I imagine not.

There could be some 'cross-touring' for the junior corps running up to champs but the end result could be more shows which would have a more 'local/circuit' interest than sending everybody across the country all summer.

I'd still pay money to see a show with Bucs, Cabs, Spirit of Atlanta, Jersey Surf and Boston all in one place.

You would cut the number of shows yes, but you'd cut down the number of shows which lose money and draw no fans on Wednesday nights as well as travel.

Use the corps as educational vehicles for the local schools they stay at more than currently is done.

Lots of logistics to be sure, and a change in the way of life, but is really anybody better served by seeing 'lower-tier' corps stretched beyond their means on a regular basis?

Have fewer, but better shows.

Enough rambling without any homework into the logistics of it all ;)

I like this.

Although, with regional based contests, the cost of running a corps will drop, which in time should lead to more corps and more contests.

G7? Isn't it G6 now? I mean, Cavaliers were supposed to have been a hold out to the G7 proposal back in 2010, no? You think Hopkins and Gibbs would let them back at the table so easily after last year? They already ordered the heavy oak, gold scroll-work Hexagonal table for the new headquarters... (and the 6 high backed thrones, 6 sets of platinum tableware, 6 personal servants with tabards embroidered with very specific logos; not to mention the castle that is being built as their headquarters)

Some comments on your statements:

The DCI Next proposal was very workable.

The working groups concept was a part of the DCI Next proposal, not a response to its death. The working groups consisted of corps directors at different levels who could give input and feedback on different sections of the proposal.

The DCI Next proposal was Dan taking a leadership position and showing how DCI could continue to move forward and evolve. The proposal specifically addressed the G7 issue and demonstrated how most everything that the G7 say that they want could be achieved underneath the DCI umbrella. From what I have observed, most of the other corps would have followed Dan's lead on this proposal.

The G7 corps did not accept the proposal. They have their own agenda and are working from a different playbook. They already decided back in 2010 that they do not want Dan to lead.

If someone is dead set on a particular path, there is not much that can be proposed that would dissuade them from it. Even if it is to their own detriment.

Bob, on re-reading, I realized you didn't answer the questions about the slippery slope that the BOD is giving the 7 by allowing them full control of the TOC series.

Do they feel they must placate the 7 to get another tour out of them while both sides plan?

• Like 2