Another Cadets2 ?

(Sorry, not what you expected)

The emergence of Cadets2 was a significant addition to DCA in my mind. Not only did they make a strong Year 1 statement, they should bring even greater potential to 2013. I congratulate, and thank George Hopkins for entering the DCA arena and wonder if other DCI organizations will ever do the same. How 'bout you? So many questions . . .

Right now, the introduction of the next Cadets2-type corps is probably limited to just those few DCI organizations within a 400 mile radius of New Jersey. This being the predominant size of regular DCA activity. So, the next Cadets2-type participant will likely be put forth by Boston Crusaders, Bluecoats, Jersey Surf, and with a stretch, Carolina Crown. A Midwestern entry would be helpful, too. But, that will be an even bigger stretch. You might believe there will not be another emergence similar to Cadets2. I'm not sure either way, but

I'll go on record with THIS prediction. . . .

If there ever is another Cadetrs2-like DCA addition to competition, it will be at least 3 years from today, and come from Carolina Crown. Further, I can see a switch from DCI to DCA by Jersey Surf, rather than the introduction of a second Jersey Surf (Surf 2) corps.

Your thoughts, please.

Edited by Fred Windish

Further, I can see a switch from DCI to DCA by Jersey Surf, rather than the introduction of a second Jersey Surf (Surf 2) corps.

Your thoughts, please.

I can maybe see this switch,..........but even further, I see all-age as the logical move for many DCI Open corps,........ this could allow them to include alums back into the corps,.............do a weekend only format,..........and most probably reduce costs,......

I would be great if BDB, SCVCadets, Colt Cadets, made the switch (in a dream once),........and others started units such as the ones you mention, but how about Cavies, Scouts, etc. for the midwest............

I have said before, I give The Cadets a lot of credit for starting C2,.......Lead on George!

• Like 1

Gary, thanks.

You mentioned "including alums back into the corps." THIS is significant!

I never considered that benefit, a benefit available to all DCI corps. Wonder what the stats are for Cadets2 after just one year? George. . . . . anyone?

............. Further, I can see a switch from DCI to DCA by Jersey Surf, rather than the introduction of a second Jersey Surf (Surf 2) corps.

Your thoughts, please.

I don't think this will ever happen. Surf is really all about youth, as much as any other corps out there. There are so many DCA corps in the area, any kid that wants to march there is already doing so. The Surf serves kids that want the DCI experience, probably to the same extent they are a place for volunteers and staff they enjoy the DCI experience as well.

I am curious what you base this prediction on.

jonnyboy,

If DCI fractures apart, weekday competitions become few and far between, or the cost of moving a corps more than a couple hundred miles becomes prohibitive, Jersey Surf is in an enviable position to capitalize on its proximity to most of the DCA activity.

jonnyboy,

If DCI fractures apart, weekday competitions become few and far between, or the cost of moving a corps more than a couple hundred miles becomes prohibitive, Jersey Surf is in an enviable position to capitalize on its proximity to most of the DCA activity.

Well if DCI fractures and there is upheaval, I see many corps changing lanes. Surf could make the easiest transition to DCA due to proximity, but that is a big "what if". As far as converting to DCA for any other reason, I just don't see that happening.

I simply do not think it makes sense to take the All-age out of All-age corps.

Clearly, you have a different definition for "all age". You seem to think it means "every age in every corps" instead of "any age the corps wants". DCA has made it quite clear it's the latter.

• Like 3