"School Bands Should Not Be Entertainment Adjunct For Sports"

Though I don't take issue with the author's own opinions, I do take issue with the parent upset that the school "forced serious music students to attend band camp and march at football games," because this implies that marching band has no educational value. Instead, the marching music arts is just another performance venue similar to chamber choir, jazz band, concert band, etc. By requiring all music students to participate in multiple forms of music education, they become more well-rounded musicians.

I graduated college with a degree in mechanical engineering, but at the conclusion of my college years, I was required to take the 2-part "Fundamentals of Engineering" exam. The first 4-hours tests your breadth of knowledge in multiple engineering fields, such as electrical, chemical, structural, industrial, as well as mechanical engineering. The second 4-hours tests your depth of knowledge in the engineering field of your choice.

Though I have never in my 10 year career ever used a bit of chemical engineering, having a basic understanding of the field has made me a better engineer. The same is true for music education. "But high-stepping marching band has no education value," you say. The same could be said for a poorly run concert band, but this has to do with the music program itself, and not the genre of music.

THANK YOU!

The issue here, to me at least, is the assumption that marching band is solely entertainment. Is entertainment the goal? Why, yes, but isn't that also one of the goals of a concert band?

I teach band in a smaller town in Western Wisconsin- this is my first year teaching. While not the most demanding band schedule I've ever seen, there are a raft of requirements; marching bands, pep bands, etc. Do the kids complain about the requirements? yes, sometimes, but it helps that they know I must be there for everything as well, and the emphasis is on having fun, performing well, and giving something back to our community.

As others have said: mandatory marching band is only a bad thing if the focus is EXCLUSIVELY as a function of sports. If the emphasis is instead on educational opportunities and new experiences for students, then sports-related performances are simply the medium.