Horn in F Mouthpieces

Rio_

I realize that the majority of horn players on this site are probably more accomplished with the mellophone than they are with the double horn, but I still figured this would be a great place to inquire about mouthpieces. I've been playing my Conn 8D for about a year now, and am looking to make a step up from the old Holton MDC that I am using. The inner diameter I'm looking for is around 17.5-18.0.

Here are some of the mouthpieces I've been checking out recently. If anybody could provide additional suggestions for mouthpieces and/or comments on some of these, that would be keen :)

Laskey 80G

Schilke 30

Denis Wick Paxman in Silver

Marcinkiewicz - Pro Line

I've also heard about storks, but not enough to really know which ones to look out for.

All in all, I just want something that is good all-around like the MDC, only better and with as little compromise as possible.

Thanks!

Side note: Does the material of the mouthpiece really make a difference? I've heard a high silver content is beneficial in some way.

Edited by Rio_

I realize that the majority of horn players on this site are probably more accomplished with the mellophone than they are with the double horn, but I still figured this would be a great place to inquire about mouthpieces. I've been playing my Conn 8D for about a year now, and am looking to make a step up from the old Holton MDC that I am using. The inner diameter I'm looking for is around 17.5-18.0.

Here are some of the mouthpieces I've been checking out recently. If anybody could provide additional suggestions for mouthpieces and/or comments on some of these, that would be keen :)

Laskey 80G

Schilke 30

Denis Wick Paxman in Silver

Marcinkiewicz - Pro Line

I've also heard about storks, but not enough to really know which ones to look out for.

All in all, I just want something that is good all-around like the MDC, only better and with as little compromise as possible.

Thanks!

Side note: Does the material of the mouthpiece really make a difference? I've heard a high silver content is beneficial in some way.

Marcinkiewicz as a suggestion. I've personally never heard of high silver content in a mouthpiece or mouthpiece plating; although it's said a gold plated mouthpiece may offer a warmer tone and help to decrease things like chapped lips.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input, I guess everybody will have something different to say about the makeup of the mouthpiece, haha. What's your experience with the Marcinkiewicz?

From what you are indicating you are looking for, you might try the Marcinkiewicz CH1S or CHEF3 - Mark Taylor. They are both a little deeper and wider than the MDC. I have played both and like the Marcinkiewicz line and quality. I get a nice dark sound out of both of those, but I always seems to return to my favorite mouthpiece, the Holton XDC. If you like the contour of your MDC, you might want to check out the Stork O-6(that is a letter O not zero). The rim has a simillar contour and the inner diameter is just a hair under 18. I have never been disappointed with the quality of Stork mouthpieces.

Regarding the metal content, I have never heard that. The biggest benefit I have found with gold plating is that it warms up faster and holds warmth longer than silver. That is just a personal opinion with no scientific backing other than what my chops feel.

Try to find a shop in your area that stocks a lot of mouthpieces so you can go in and try them out. Or you might try to deal with mouthpieceexpress.com. They have a a 15 day trial system. You can order as many pieces as you want, you pay for them all up front, then request a return authorization and ship back what you dont want. They do charge a 10% restocking fee and return shipping is your responsibility. But if you dont have a decent shop near you, it may be the way to go.

Have fun!

• Like 1

From what you are indicating you are looking for, you might try the Marcinkiewicz CH1S or CHEF3 - Mark Taylor. They are both a little deeper and wider than the MDC. I have played both and like the Marcinkiewicz line and quality. I get a nice dark sound out of both of those, but I always seems to return to my favorite mouthpiece, the Holton XDC. If you like the contour of your MDC, you might want to check out the Stork O-6(that is a letter O not zero). The rim has a simillar contour and the inner diameter is just a hair under 18. I have never been disappointed with the quality of Stork mouthpieces.

Regarding the metal content, I have never heard that. The biggest benefit I have found with gold plating is that it warms up faster and holds warmth longer than silver. That is just a personal opinion with no scientific backing other than what my chops feel.

Try to find a shop in your area that stocks a lot of mouthpieces so you can go in and try them out. Or you might try to deal with mouthpieceexpress.com. They have a a 15 day trial system. You can order as many pieces as you want, you pay for them all up front, then request a return authorization and ship back what you dont want. They do charge a 10% restocking fee and return shipping is your responsibility. But if you dont have a decent shop near you, it may be the way to go.

Have fun!

Thanks!!! I suppose I'll stick with the Marcinkiewicz then :) I'll be sure to provide an update on it., hehe.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if you are still looking...

I've played Conn 8D for 11+ years now... at first I was on a Holton MDC - it's a nice piece, but it was just something that I was started on as a standard... I switched to Schilke 30 about 4 years ago... and have been happy ever since.

The makeup of the mouthpiece really doesn't matter that much... sure you don't want aluminum foil, but it is a pretty negligible difference honestly. I know people who use gold rims, but mostly because they are allergic to the silver plating on most mouthpieces.

I never care to try to change up my equipment... buying a different horn or mouthpiece or mute or whatever isn't going to help my rhythm & articulation, or expand my knowledge of repertoire, and most likely won't contribute much to improve intonation, tone quality, etc... but practicing with a metronome and a drone certainly will! :thumbup: I'd say cut out some of the stress and save yourself some time by finding something you like and sticking with it. :music:

All best wishes!

Kristen

M.M. Music Ed Candidate - Boston U

M.M. Horn Performance - Boston U

B.M. Horn Performance - ECU

If you want a mouthpiece that will take all of your air and give you a large symphonic sound, I suggest getting a Josef Klier 2BM A1. It only costs $60 and I've never used another mouthpiece since. Even sound throughout the range and really fun to play 4th horn on, as well as 1st.

If you want something a little more "secure", get a Halstead Chidell Z21A.

Edited by MelloEvan

I never care to try to change up my equipment... buying a different horn or mouthpiece or mute or whatever isn't going to help my rhythm & articulation, or expand my knowledge of repertoire, and most likely won't contribute much to improve intonation, tone quality, etc... but practicing with a metronome and a drone certainly will! :thumbup:/>/> I'd say cut out some of the stress and save yourself some time by finding something you like and sticking with it. :music:/>/>

All best wishes!

Kristen

M.M. Music Ed Candidate - Boston U

M.M. Horn Performance - Boston U

B.M. Horn Performance - ECU

Actually, using the proper mouthpiece is a life long journey.

As a performer ages changes occur with movement of teeth (just as one example) and a performers lips do become thinner with age. It's a life of adjusting; at first very seldom..then more-so as one grows older.

• 2 weeks later...

Karl Hammond mouthpieces have been used successfully by a number of very prominent brass lines

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, using the proper mouthpiece is a life long journey.

As a performer ages changes occur with movement of teeth (just as one example) and a performers lips do become thinner with age. It's a life of adjusting; at first very seldom..then more-so as one grows older.

The original post was made by someone who is still in high school. I hope his/her lips aren't thinning away already! At my young age and this poster's young age, we don't need to be changing mouthpieces all the time. Find something that works and stick with it... and play tons of Kopprasch. One of the points in my original post is people often worry so much about their equipment when there are so many other things that could benefit from that mental energy. Then when you get old and things start going downhill, you can start doing whatever you want, even if it means playing on a triple horn... bearing in mind, everyone's retirement day comes... even Dale Clevenger.

Best,

KR