Training for Corps

My advice: run about 10-12 mi per week, 3 or 4 days at an 8 to 9 min pace; 100 pushups in 2 sets of 50 and 100 crunches in 2 sets of 50 on the in between days with a set of crisp 8-5s at 120, 160, and 180. This should give you about 30-40 minutes per day of aerobic and anaerobic exercise and should have you ready for camp. Tour will require more but they will build you up from there. If your scholastic practice has been productive, I wouldn't alter it too significantly. Your BD's advice about perfect practice is dead nuts right on. Lastly, don't discount the 10-18 corps as a second choice. They are top people, many who choose to remain rather than corps-hop because they've found something bigger and better than a top 8 performance. Good Luck!

Thanks! I'm not discounting other corps; in fact, I may just audition for SOA or Gold if I don't make it in Phantom.

Dude enjoy your summer off. It might be your last until you ageout after which you'll probably have school and/or a real job.

Dude enjoy your summer off. It might be your last until you ageout after which you'll probably have school and/or a real job.

The thing is, all I do every summer is... nothing. Yeah, I go to the pool, vacation every once in a while, and hang with friends some, but usually what I'm doing at any given time is sitting in front of my laptop. Of course, I obviously won't be following the schedule every day, since life gets in the way. Also, I'm going to fit activities in, I just want to get something done this summer!

That's... ambitious.

I'd say 30 minutes of high-intensity interval training four times each week, and be able to hold up your horn. That puts you in the top 10% before you even play a note.

Thanks for the info, man. I have no idea where to go when it comes to physical training in terms of corps, so you guys are really helping!

I suggest you hire a private trainer, nutritionist and sports psychologist.

I've already got bookings with Oprah's private trainer, my nutritionist also went to culinary school in Paris, and my sports psychologist is R. Lee Ermey. I'm on top of this, man. tongue.gif

Of course, I obviously won't be following the schedule every day, since life gets in the way. Also, I'm going to fit activities in, I just want to get something done this summer!

I would make sure you try to set a schedule that you can accomplish. Put yourself in a position to be successful. Going from nothing to 14 hours of preparation is not putting yourself in a position to succeed. If you never hit your daily goal, you will get discouraged.

I would make sure you try to set a schedule that you can accomplish. Put yourself in a position to be successful. Going from nothing to 14 hours of preparation is not putting yourself in a position to succeed. If you never hit your daily goal, you will get discouraged.

True, I didn't think of this. Thanks a lot!

Hey OP, I just felt like chiming in...

• I'm sure that Phantom is looking for volume extension. Make sure you manage to work that into your daily routine (might not be as difficult on trumpet as it is on baritone).
  • Have you tried "Insanity"? If you do the Cardio disc you'll be doing some of the exercises that many corps use.

Hope this helps! Good luck at your audition in the future!

Edited by bassdj
  • Like 1

You can't go to Drum Corps to get in shape. You have to arrive in shape or you'll fail almost instantly.