Preseason Performances

"All Access: The Scherzo"

When The Cadets won their last DCI title 2 years ago in 2011, they went out with 16 Contra Basses ( or " Tubas" if one prefers ). This year their practices here in June ( and as recently as yesterday) are showing 10 Contras. Is this a show design change decision for them this season one would presume ? I do see a trend of late of Corps going out with less Contras than a couple of years ago. Madison Scouts went out with 20 Contras 2 years ago, and most others had 16 or so. ( although BD has routinely gone out with 12 ). Is this perhaps because the Finals are indoors and staffs believe now that 10-12 are more than sufficient in an indoor Finals ? Or what can we attribute the reason why the 30% reduction in many elite Corps size of their Contras line ?

Edited by BRASSO

When The Cadets won their last DCI title 2 years ago in 2011, they went out with 16 Contra Basses ( or " Tubas" if one prefers ). This year their practices here in June ( and as recently as yesterday) are showing 10 Contras. Is this a show design change decision for them this season one would presume ? I do see a trend of late of Corps going out with less Contras than a couple of years ago. Madison Scouts went out with 20 Contras 2 years ago, and most others had 16 or so. ( although BD has routinely gone out with 12 ). Is this perhaps because the Finals are indoors and staffs believe now that 10-12 are more than sufficient in an indoor Finals ? Or what can we attribute the reason why the 30% reduction in many elite Corps size of their Contras line ?

I'm going to take a stab at this one and guess that it has to do with composition. A lot of corps recently have gone from 80 brass back down to 72 (from what I understand, the Cavaliers had 80 in 2011, 72 in 2012, along with the cut from 16 to 12 contras). I think, but I'm not sure. 72 is a really nice number, though. It's divisible by so many numbers - 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 12, 18, 24, 36, 72 - I'm sure that makes for much more friendly drill-writing.

Cadets cut the brass to 72 to allow a larger guard.

Is this perhaps because the Finals are indoors and staffs believe now that 10-12 are more than sufficient in an indoor Finals ? Or what can we attribute the reason why the 30% reduction in many elite Corps size of their Contras line ?

16-20 was an obvious choice for the contra line in a 150-member acoustic drum corps, but when you add synths... I won't be surprised if contra lines shrink more and more over the next few years. In fact, given the cost of a tuba and the restrictions it adds to movement, perhaps the contra line will go the way of the cymbal line before long.

Edited by skywhopper

16-20 was an obvious choice for the contra line in a 150-member acoustic drum corps, but when you add synths... I won't be surprised if contra lines shrink more and more over the next few years. In fact, given the cost of a tuba and the restrictions it adds to movement, perhaps the contra line will go the way of the cymbal line before long.

I agree. I was always baffled with the 16+ tubas. Especially with some of the crazy drills out there.

For whatever reason Cadets seem to have a little trouble filling tuba spots in the past few years.

I think the remaining two spots are actually filled but not marching quite yet. Cadets will march 12 this season.

I don't think there's a trend towards fewer tubas -- most corps still march (or want to march ) 16.

Cadets cut the brass to 72 to allow a larger guard.

I believe that Boston has done the same ( ie, 72 brass, 12 Contras, larger Guard )for 2013 as well. I've seen practice videos of a few others and I'm not seeing a lot of Corps with 16 Contras which is what we used to see as recently as 2 seasons ago.