DCI Akron Review - From the Theater

So, I just got back from the theater event. First of all, let me say that there were absolutely no problems with the theater I was at. The sound levels started loud and only got louder throughout. Great picture, no complaints at all. Now, on to the corps (in performance order):

Spirit of Atlanta - By far the biggest reception of the night (though I suppose that's expected when you go to a theater in Atlanta). They deserved it. This show is a lot of fun. A good bit of visual dirt, but that's just how it is around this time of year. Can't wait to see how they improve on it over the summer. This show reminds me of old-school SOA more than any other show they've done in a long time.

Cavaliers - Honestly? I thought this was the weakest show of the night. I had them in 6th. I love the Cavies, don't get me wrong, but it's gonna take a lot of cleaning and program tweaking to get me to like this show. It's just dirty. Also, the "Secret Society" whisper thing towards the end of the show made me visibly wince in my seat. If I were running the show over there, that part would have been cut back in December. I'll keep my hopes up for them, but I was not terribly impressed.

Boston Crusaders - I dig the new uniforms, especially given their historical connection, but the show? About as interesting and lively as the grey that they're marching in. It's performed very well and has it's moments here and there, but I continually found myself wondering when it was going to be over. Again, I know early season drum corps isn't anywhere close to what we'll be watching on the 2013 DVDs, but currently that show leaves a lot to be desired.

Cadets - Wow. Up until tonight, I thought it was only a two-way battle for 1st place...then the Cadets showed up. Definitely my favorite show of the night, and I honestly believe they have what it takes to win it all in August. Obviously time will tell, but man they deserve it if they manage to get it. I can't wait to watch this show more over the summer. They already sound like late July. Love the concept, too - didn't think the props on the field were distracting at all. Again, fantastic show, would like to see them win in August, but they definitely deserved to win tonight...they were on a whole different level from the other corps tonight.

Phantom Regiment - I think, given the title, I was expecting this to be a lot more like Harmonic Journey from 2003. It's a great show, but I feel like it's lacking the emotional moments that Phantom typically knows how to do so well. I really wish they would use more of Mahler 2. This is another show that I'm very interested in seeing just how it will evolve....or how many people they'll kill.

Bluecoats - I love the new uniforms and the show has a great concept...it just didn't grab me. I think I might have enjoyed it more had I not seen the Cadets already. Really good (they sound phenomenal), but not great. Also, Dean Westman's description of the color guard being people like "hipsters and people going to work" made me (jokingly) think that the entire show was about hipsters going to work. Perhaps that clouded my judgement a little. I will definitely be watching this show again over the summer just to get a better idea of what it's all about.

My order of placement:

1. Cadets

2. Phantom Regiment

3. Bluecoats

4. Spirit of Atlanta

5. Boston Crusaders

6. Cavaliers

Also, the "Secret Society" whisper thing towards the end of the show made me visibly wince in my seat. If I were running the show over there, that part would have been cut back in December. I'll keep my hopes up for them, but I was not terribly impressed.

I liked the closer. They finally became "The Cavaliers" after 9 minutes of WTF. I thought Daniel Radcliffe would make an appearance. They had that deathly hallows-like symbol, and the parsel-tongue whisper.

They should change this show to "Harry Potter and the Secret Society." tongue.gif

Edited by Tad_MMA
  • Like 1

Great stuff, Hardlyworking!!!

Wow, what a show!

My thoughts and placements pretty much echo Hardlyworking's. I would like to thank the corps performing, though, for not whipping my ears with a bunch of voice and narration.

Cadets looked surprisingly good - Watch out, August!

Yeah, I saw the same thing for the most part. I live less than two hours from Canton but rarely am moved by whatever the Bluecoats program. This year, they are dynamite! It's compelling and very well done. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them fighting Phantom and SCV for 4th (premature statement, as this is June and I've not seen SCV).

I highly doubt that Phantom will medal again. They basically "appear" for 11 minutes... there's really nothing new or special about what they're doing. "Nimrod" might have more impact if it hadn't been done 247 times in recent memory.... Welcome back, sash, though.

Cavaliers are a cold, cold mess. Is this really the only corps to win 5 titles in a decade? Wow. It isn't just muddy programming; they don't look or sound confident at all. At this point, I wouldn't bet $10 that they make Finals. Seriously. They'd better watch their backs.

Yeah, Boston didn't gel. The music isn't very fun. They sound and move as grey as they look. But there's quite a bit of potential here.

Spirit is GOOD. They'll move up. They look and sound more serious about their intent. It's a fun show that reminds me of their mid-80s mid-top 12 corps. Good for them!

Cadets are basically what I expected. It's TONS better than last year in terms of programming (and potential). The guard is an absolute blast to watch (their best one since 2005, for sure)--- the drummer sitting next to me practically had to breathe in a bag. Haha, he was practically catatonic. "Flams. Flams," he kept whispering. Dennis DeLucia said after their show: "I'd take that drumline in August!"

Medea needs some tweaking in order for it to be really effective. EVERYONE remembers Star '93 whether live or on YT. If they're going to use it, they need to IMPROVE it. It's not there yet. But this is easily a medal-worthy show. Which one? Stay tuned.

They end the show pretty much the same way they did App Spring in 1987. Fine but there's not a strong enough "pre-ending" to make it work. (Again, it's June.)

We were treated to some Volume 2 of DCI's latest moneygrabbing video set. It reminded me of a youtube vid out there "before amplification was needed..." Blue Devils 1976? Puddles, baby. Puddles. worthy.gif

Edited by Tad_MMA