Streaming a show- fan network- HELP

iPads do not use FLASH ... the live broadcast requires FLASH if I am not mistaken ...

That is correct. For his iPad, he would need to get and connect his iPad to an Apple TV or another device and then to the TV to play On Demand videos (including show videos from a few days earlier back to the 1970s), but it wouldn't work with live streaming during shows like the one in Atlanta on Saturday. Though I don't have a smart Blu-Ray player or PS3 to test it, I think the same thing would be true on those devices--you can play On Demand but not live video streamplay--Flash is the key for live streamplay.

Re the AppleTV solution if you have a Mac (desktop or laptop) with a recent version of the OS, you can mirror your screen and audio to your AppleTV, just like with the iPad screen mirroring, except you'd be able to do live streams, not just VODs. There's also an app for PC called AirParrot that does a similar screen-share to AppleTV, but it doesn't do a great job and is kind of a hassle to work with.

Best solution is HDMI cable if your PC has the HDMI port. New Macs have the Thunderbolt port which can be converted to DVI with audio with the right adapter, I believe. If your PC has a DVI port, there are DVI->HDMI cables you can get, but then you also need to send the audio from your headphone jack on your PC to your TV or stereo's audio input. This last is the method I use, but I would only recommend it if you don't have any other option.

If you don't have a PC with HDMI out, you might consider looking for a used laptop with HDMI out to use just for this purpose. If you can find something for $100-200 bucks that's not more than five years old or so, it'll probably work just fine for this purpose.

Also, buy your cables from Monoprice.com -- they have high quality cables of almost any length, jack combination, and color, at rock-bottom prices. Basic HDMI cables are $5 or less. The cables they sell at Best Buy, OfficeMax, etc are usually of lower quality and always cost many times as much. I have no affiliation with Monoprice, but I think it's relevant to this discussion.

Edited by skywhopper

THANKS GUYS!:thumbup:/>

Apple sells a HDMI adapter for Ipad which connects to a HDMI cable then to the TV.

You will be able to stream the VOD shows but not the live events.

I don't understand- so you can't stream live events to a TV?

You can, but not from an iPad. A PC or Mac will do so just fine.

Sweet- I think can do the Laptop/HDMI to TV thing for the next live event.

Related to this topic, this newly announced Google Chromecast HDMI dongle (which is already back-ordered and won't be available in time for any of this year's shows) will supposedly be able to stream a tab from your Chrome web browser to your TV from Windows or Mac over wifi, so that would presumably work for DCI livestreams much more easily than most any other solution so far discussed. Plus, it's only $35!

• Like 1

Sweet- I think can do the Laptop/HDMI to TV thing for the next live event.

That is the simplest solution as long as:

1. The laptop has an HDMI-out port and the TV has an HDMI-in port. If one has a DVI port and the other has an HDMI port, you will need an HDMI-to-DVI cable and separate RCA red-white audio cables to hear the sound because DVI does not carry sound. HDMI does. (Odd because the HDMI connector is smaller than the DVI, but whatever...)

2. Remember as suggested above that you may need to set the input on the TV monitor carefully with the remote so it understands where the video and audio signals are coming from. This is a common source of frustration when connecting a computer to a TV monitor and you either can't see the picture or can't hear the sound, or both. Consult your TV monitor manual if needed to determine how to select the HDMI or DVI and audio ports.

I would connect everything and test it using other videos played over the computer as on YouTube before inviting people over. You want it ready to go when they show up, and it's easy to think you have it right but then fail when you try.

Edited by Peel Paint
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

How do you get chrome cast to stream fn?