Crossmen

Academy

Jersey Surf........... customer cost for 6 DCI Corps, $ $30-$50

Lineup for Lawrence, Ma. show, August 1st

Boston Crusaders

Madison Scouts

Cadets

Crossmen...............customer cost for 4 DCI Corps $30-$40

I'd say its pretty comparable in overall value, and nobody is complaining in Massachusetts.

Also, the state of Texas this summer will have 5 DCI shows, one a Regional with every Corps present. The state of New York by contrast will have just 2 DCI shows. One of the NY DCI shows will have just one... one... DCI Finalist Corps from 2012 in that NY show. The other show in Buffalo is a TOC show. I think overall the State of Texas is doing quite well for what DCI fans in Texas can see in both shows as well as the number of Corps that they will get to see live. They get to see pretty much the full lineup of DCI World Class Division Corps live this summer, and have for a few years now. So I'm really not getting your complaining.

While I get current pricing, I will say that, before we "lost" the regional circuits, the typical price for just about every show was $12 for general admission. That usually included 1-2 headliners and 4-5 div 2/3 corps. It's fun to have a show with 5-7 world class corps but at what cost the the activity?

While I get current pricing, I will say that, before we "lost" the regional circuits, the typical price for just about every show was $12 for general admission. That usually included 1-2 headliners and 4-5 div 2/3 corps. It's fun to have a show with 5-7 world class corps but at what cost the the activity?

In 1971, tickets to the first Midwest Combine show were $7.

That is actually more than $40 now.

• Like 1

Part of the problem is likely with the facilities and economics. With the advent of the Denton show DFW corps fans had an option. Drive to and through one of the most congested freeway systems in the metroplitan area, then have nowhere to park , so you are walking 10-15 minutes through neighborhoods to get to the stadium. Then all seats are hard bench style and the stadium is medium sized.

Or, you can go for roughly the same price with a similar lineup to a larger stadium, with less traffic, convenient parking and a field with no track and the corps in your face. With limited budgets, fans made the easy choice to go to Denton. As few as 10 years ago, the economics meant fans would go to both shows. But now, if you have to choose, unless you live real close to the Lake Highlands show, it's a no brainer. With more ticket sales and bigger budgets, Denton likely can afford/draw the increasingly better lineup.

The Lake Highlands crew believed in DCI back in the day when Texas was a drum corps wasteland. They deserve a show - but they defiantly chose to keep that show in their (relatively) poor facilties (5-6 years back the stadium was under construction and the show had to be moved to Mesquite down the road which had a great parking scene and much bigger and comfortable stadium - the show was fantastic - but when construction was finished, and a bad parking scene made worse, Lake Highlands brought it back home).

Soooo if shows cost 40-50 dollars, families can't go to both. And if the options are Denton versus Lake Highlands...it's not a difficult choice. And from what I hear, the Denton show next year may get even better facilities...

• Like 1

The past 3 years or so, it seems as if DCI is intent on "killing" the Lake Highlands / Dallas show in favor of the Denton show. First with the TOC format, and moving the LHHS show to after the San Antonio contest. Then this year scheduling the LHHS show on the same night as 2 other shows -- that's three shows on July 23, to dilute participation. When you look at the schedule in the days immediately before and after San Antonio, there are several other dates with only one show, meaning DCI could have put the LHHS show on a night with only one other competitor, instead of 2. But chose not to.

The LHHS band boosters have been putting this show on for 38 years, and from a conversation I overheard, they are the ONLY show on the circuit that is run entirely by a booster club, without the involvement of a Corps or DCI.

The LHHS band boosters have been putting this show on for 38 years, and from a conversation I overheard, they are the ONLY show on the circuit that is run entirely by a booster club, without the involvement of a Corps or DCI.

And that is probably your answer right there. In the current model, shows where a corps or DCI itself gets more of the pie are the golden boys. If the rumored better Denton facility someone else mentioned turns out to be the fancy new UNT stadium that they won't stop squawking about in my alumni magazine, poor LHHS will have an even tougher go.

• Like 1

This is 100% a timing issue. This show cannot be after San Antonio. There is nothing compelling about seeing it Thursday, then Saturday, then Tuesday.

There are a lot of Dallas folks that go to SA every year. That regional is the unofficial end of the Texas schedule. It should be the official one, too.

• Like 1