Is Rice Nice?

In hopes that someone here will be at this show, which starts in 15 minutes (7:00 p.m. central time), here is a thread for you to post in!

DCI has the (reverse) lineup as:

Spartans - Nashua, NH

7th Regiment - New London, CT

Genesis - Edinburg, TX

Legends - Kalamazoo, MI

Raiders - Burlington, NJ

Les Stentors - Sherbrooke, QU

Blue Saints - Sudbury, ON

But Raiders announced last week that they were cutting back their late-season tour to run only Aug. 5-8.

It will be most interesting to see what difference two days makes to the very tight scores of the top three.

And it's the first 2013 show for Blue Saints! Last DCI corps to debut this year. (On the DCA corps, several Class A corps have yet to do so: Excelsior, Sun Devils, Tampa Bay Thunder, Centurions, High Country Brass, and Lakeshoremen.)

And... nothing.

Anyway, scores are up:

1. 83.600 Spartans (+2.850 in two days)

2. 82.550 Genesis (+2.100 in two days)

3. 81.200 7th Regiment (+1.900 in two days)

4. 79.600 Legends (+2.750 in two days)

5. 77.400 Raiders (+4.700 in nine days)

6. 70.150 Les Stentors (+6.250 in nine days)

7. 56.150 Blue Saints (first score)

Recaps

One big surprise: the Raiders were there! Checking their website, it seems that they received enough late funding to start the tour earlier than they thought just a week ago, although now it's not certain that they'll make it to Michigan City. I hope so. (I'm glad I'll have the chance to see them in Avon Lake on Saturday.)

Less surprising, if one checks against last year's scores in the first two shows of the Open Class tour, is that the four corps who were at Kalamazoo Saturday improved by an average of 1.2 points per day. At these rates, their scores in Prelims would be Spartans 93.575; Genesis 89.900; Legends 89.225; 7th Regiment 87.850. However, after a first bump like this last year, the scores lagged a bit. It will be interesting to see how much that quartet continue to grow this year. Meanwhile, Les Stentors are on track to beat their 2012 Prelims score by 12 points.

Raiders took second in percussion, behind Genesis. Legends had best guard tonight. Spartans had best GE. They also had best brass, but were third overall in music. 7th Regiment wins music analysis.

Does anyone know if Taipei Yuehfu, by virtue of being judged in "International Class" (as happened at Kalamazoo) will automatically get an appearance at Open Class Finals? Or do they have to score in the top twelve at Open Class Prelims? If Yuehfu isn't counted in the twelve, then Racine and Saints are fighting for a Finals berth.

And... nothing.

Anyway, scores are up:

1. 83.600 Spartans (+2.850 in two days)

2. 82.550 Genesis (+2.100 in two days)

3. 81.200 7th Regiment (+1.900 in two days)

4. 79.600 Legends (+2.750 in two days)

5. 77.400 Raiders (+4.700 in nine days)

6. 70.150 Les Stentors (+6.250 in nine days)

7. 56.150 Blue Saints (first score)

Recaps

One big surprise: the Raiders were there! Checking their website, it seems that they received enough late funding to start the tour earlier than they thought just a week ago, although now it's not certain that they'll make it to Michigan City. I hope so. (I'm glad I'll have the chance to see them in Avon Lake on Saturday.)

Less surprising, if one checks against last year's scores in the first two shows of the Open Class tour, is that the four corps who were at Kalamazoo Saturday improved by an average of 1.2 points per day. At these rates, their scores in Prelims would be Spartans 93.575; Genesis 89.900; Legends 89.225; 7th Regiment 87.850. However, after a first bump like this last year, the scores lagged a bit. It will be interesting to see how much that quartet continue to grow this year. Meanwhile, Les Stentors are on track to beat their 2012 Prelims score by 12 points.

Raiders took second in percussion, behind Genesis. Legends had best guard tonight. Spartans had best GE. They also had best brass, but were third overall in music. 7th Regiment wins music analysis.

Does anyone know if Taipei Yuehfu, by virtue of being judged in "International Class" (as happened at Kalamazoo) will automatically get an appearance at Open Class Finals? Or do they have to score in the top twelve at Open Class Prelims? If Yuehfu isn't counted in the twelve, then Racine and Saints are fighting for a Finals berth.

It is my understanding that Yuehfu cannot take out one of the Open Class out of finals. If they finish 12th of higher, there will be 13 corps in finals.

But it already been annonce that every corps will have a second opportunity to perform. But only the finalist will be judge.

It is my understanding that Yuehfu cannot take one of the Open Class out of Finals. If they finish 12th or higher, there will be 13 corps in Finals.

Thanks!

But it already been announced that every corps will have a second opportunity to perform. But only the Finalists will be judged.

I missed that. Do you know where it was announced?

Thanks!

I missed that. Do you know where it was announced?

It's been talked in meeting and they did it the same way last year and probably the year before. It doesn't make sence to leave one corps in the stands when you have 13-14 corps (12 in finals). Those not in finals can do an exibition at the begining of the show.

I find it classy specialy that they are all going to Indy after Michigan City.

I find it classy specialy that they are all going to Indy after Michigan City.

Including Taipei?

Garry in Vegas