Make Your Passion a Career

I'll be 62 in 2 weeks and I just want to reply to your basically sound remarks with this observation: You're going to work your entire life. You are going to be underpaid and underchallenged a good portion of that worklife. If you're doing a job you don't have some level of passion for you will burn out in a short time. I believe this to be a fact. Teaching isn't for everyone. Music as a career isn't for everyone. But if you have that sense that it is what you were born to do and you don't follow that sense, you will be more unhappy than a mountain of student loans will make you. If it's what you burn to do, you get the credentials you need, you build your resume' and you follow through on your dream. Living your life in a dream is a bad prescription, but living without a dream is far worse.

And as soon as you start to feel bitter about the whole thing, start retooling, because you can't count on dying young like James Dean or Kurt Cobain. One could stay bitter for more than 5 decades. That is a long friggin' time.

agreed, but with caution.

almost HALF of all music ed/music performance majors who take teaching jobs leave education for other employment within five years. (cf. studies done by professional educational journals such as the Chronicle of Higher Education et al. for better citations for these statistics.)

This is a most unfortunate statistic, as it has potential long term effects on the Drum Corps activity. The activity NEEDS these Music Ed. Degreed young to do well financially in whatever jobs they secure once their college investment in their chosen field did not work out for them. Some College Degrees are easily transferrable in the developed technical skill subsets learned in college in the Major even if the student moves into another field. Business, Finance, Accounting, Marketing, etc degrees have this. While a Music Ed. Degree does have some technical skill subsets that are transferable to other occupations, they are not so easily done as are other College Majors.

BITD the primary goal of Drum Corps was to take at risk kids off the streets, provide them with discipline, teamwork abilities, pride and sense of accomplisment, needed adult supervision and guidance, and avoidance of unhealthy elements and environments. Only about 1-3 % of MM's in many Corps were Music Majors or were about to become Music Ed Majors. A significant number were not going to go to college at all... some were headed to jobs later in life as tradesmen, ie, plumbers, electricians, carpenters, bricklayers, and so forth. Others were headed to college but would gravitate to the fields that would make them money, as many came from environments where living hand to mouth was commonplace. So those that went to college majored in majors that would give them a leg up on that, ie Business, Finance, Law, Medicine, Accounting, etc and so forth. Quite a few became small business owners. Many ( but certainly not all ) did well financially. This became important as quite a few became sources of revenue for the Drum Corps activity in its fund raising endeavors. Now these folks are in retirement, or have moved on. Today, we have a different environment. Well over a third of all MM's are either Music Ed Majors or tell us that they intend to become Music Ed Majors. This is a noble career path. We recognize that these people are selecting a career path that is fraught with obstacles to success and does not pay well, in relationship to other college degree majors. We applaud their self sacrifice in choosing a career path such as this. Education is an enobling profession. As it relates to the future of Drum Corps, we NEED them to do well, as the Music Ed. Majors of today are the future sources of revenue in fund raising efforts to keep this activity we all love alive and prosperous.

Edited by BRASSO

Here is some words of wisdom, from someone that isn't very old (I'm just shy of my 25th birthday)

8th grade - I switched to french horn, fell in love with music, and decided I wanted to be a band director.

High school, did everything imaginable I could to tailor my experience to help me to get into college for music.

Went to a state University with a great music program, and one of the BEST marching bands in the country.

Rooked-out with one of the top Open Class corps in DCI.

I was on track for Music Ed, but with the requirements for the state of Massachusetts, I would of had to spend an extra three semesters to get my Ed certification. I was getting burned out - on top of the extra $$$$ for school. It was not worth it, to spend all my time as a teacher - FIGHTING for my job. I liked making music, I liked teaching kids, I liked seeing them grow and get excited about music. I did not like the political BS and everything else that comes with public schools.

I decided to change my major to just a General BA in Music, and graduate on time.

I spent the following summer working for the same corps I marched at. I then went on to Instrument repair school, and loved it. I thought I found a new passion, I was also pretty good at it. After coming home from the one year program, I got a job, MAKING french horns....by HAND.

Literally my dream job. I made sacrifices, it wasn't a high paying job (almost one of the lowest I had) and was 3 hours away from "home" Three months into it, the company went under, and everyone was fired.

Coming into christmas, I had two fresh degrees, and now no job. I applied to the Credit Union I worked at part time through college, and got a senior teller position. I have been here since February, I have a great job, with great benefits, and I just closed on my first condo. I teach drum corps on the weekend, and color guard/marching band two days a week.

I have a shop in my garage where I fix and clean (primary) brass instruments and some day I will start building my own horns. I play in a community band in the summer, and music is still a huge part of my life.

Moral of the story: You can pursue your passions, and it doesn't have to be YOUR DAY JOB. It's safe to say I still have an impact on kids lives, and get them excited about music, it's just after rehearsal I go home and don't have to deal with the school.

If there is a will you will find a way, if there isn't, you'll find an excuse.

Sorry for the long post.....

• Like 7

For any high school / college students who love drum corps / band but because you view it as a hobby, wouldn't consider being a band director or a professional musician as a career, follow your passion and get paid for what you love to do. It makes life a lot simpler.

Okay...what are we supposed to do? I ask because the wording above is rather...well, I'm still trying to figure that out.

If we love drum corps and band, are we supposed to consider being a band director or professional musician so we get paid for what we do? Or are we supposed to stay away from those jobs and do something entirely different, keeping music strictly as a hobby? Will our lives be simpler if we consider the music jobs or will it be simpler if we go into accounting and just show up at marching contests?

Boo confused.

Moral of the story: You can pursue your passions, and it doesn't have to be YOUR DAY JOB. It's safe to say I still have an impact on kids lives, and get them excited about music, it's just after rehearsal I go home and don't have to deal with the school.

:worthy:

:withstupid:

But he ain't so stupid, you guys.

• Like 1

. After coming home from the one year program, I got a job, MAKING french horns....by HAND.

I have a shop in my garage where I fix and clean (primary) brass instruments and some day I will start building my own horns. I play in a community band in the summer, and music is still a huge part of my life.

Sounds like a GREAT plan to me. This Country was built by a lot of people who could build things, or repair things. If you can build things, or repair things, you'll most likely be fine. And those who make good money, generally have more time in later life to pursue and participate in their hobby, no matter what the hobby or their passion is.

• Like 1

Okay...what are we supposed to do? I ask because the wording above is rather...well, I'm still trying to figure that out.

If we love drum corps and band, are we supposed to consider being a band director or professional musician so we get paid for what we do? Or are we supposed to stay away from those jobs and do something entirely different, keeping music strictly as a hobby? Will our lives be simpler if we consider the music jobs or will it be simpler if we go into accounting and just show up at marching contests?

Boo confused.

I regret not pursuing a Music Ed. degree. I am not in a position right now to pursue a music degree. I stay involved by helping the local high school marching band but I would be much happier teaching music for my day job b/c teaching music at night to stay involved takes away from my regular day job and family. I was in drum corps and marching band as a student and I always told myself "it wouldn't be fun if it was my day job" and I was wrong.

I've been a band director for 22 years.

Whenever a student comes up to me and say they want to be a band director, my reply is always, "What did you think about when you woke up this morning? If it was anything other than band, pick another career and keep music as a loving hobby. If it was band, you might be crazy enough to make it."

Band directing is not a job, it's a lifestyle...one that--in order to achieve at the highest levels--can consume much of your life. The benefits of helping kids can be huge, but so can the costs, and the costs are getting higher as all teachers are asked to do more with less for fewer people who actually know what is happening or even care.

When my son was 3, he was very confused on the weekends when I was home...he didn't understand because I was usually away (on average, something to do on 30 out of 36 school weekends). That lead me to rethink my priorities...but I still wake up thinking about band.

• Like 4

I regret not pursuing a Music Ed. degree. I am not in a position right now to pursue a music degree. I stay involved by helping the local high school marching band but I would be much happier teaching music for my day job b/c teaching music at night to stay involved takes away from my regular day job and family. I was in drum corps and marching band as a student and I always told myself "it wouldn't be fun if it was my day job" and I was wrong.

Thanks for the clarification. I hope you don't beat yourself up over this. I've known plenty of band directors who would tell you that their job is just that...a job. They wouldn't want to do anything else, but what they do is stressful and quite time consuming.

As for teaching at night taking away from your regular day job and family...those directors you're helping out are with their bands during the day and during the night. (I personally believe it's one reason why the divorce rate is so high among the directors I know.)

If it makes you feel any better...those directors are probably more grateful for your presence than they could ever express verbally...and so are the band members.

Here is some words of wisdom, from someone that isn't very old (I'm just shy of my 25th birthday)

8th grade - I switched to french horn, fell in love with music, and decided I wanted to be a band director.

High school, did everything imaginable I could to tailor my experience to help me to get into college for music.

Went to a state University with a great music program, and one of the BEST marching bands in the country.

Rooked-out with one of the top Open Class corps in DCI.

I was on track for Music Ed, but with the requirements for the state of Massachusetts, I would of had to spend an extra three semesters to get my Ed certification. I was getting burned out - on top of the extra $$$$ for school. It was not worth it, to spend all my time as a teacher - FIGHTING for my job. I liked making music, I liked teaching kids, I liked seeing them grow and get excited about music. I did not like the political BS and everything else that comes with public schools.

I decided to change my major to just a General BA in Music, and graduate on time.

I spent the following summer working for the same corps I marched at. I then went on to Instrument repair school, and loved it. I thought I found a new passion, I was also pretty good at it. After coming home from the one year program, I got a job, MAKING french horns....by HAND.

Literally my dream job. I made sacrifices, it wasn't a high paying job (almost one of the lowest I had) and was 3 hours away from "home" Three months into it, the company went under, and everyone was fired.

Coming into christmas, I had two fresh degrees, and now no job. I applied to the Credit Union I worked at part time through college, and got a senior teller position. I have been here since February, I have a great job, with great benefits, and I just closed on my first condo. I teach drum corps on the weekend, and color guard/marching band two days a week.

If there is a will you will find a way, if there isn't, you'll find an excuse.

Sorry for the long post.....

What a great post. Thank you for your honesty.

Thank you to kcbari as well for a very realistic facet: where does the passion of music intersect with other parts of life like marriage, family children?

I take from that post that many whose answers might have much merit have schedules that would limit their ability to post. But I think this has become a very good thread.

• Like 1