Sad News Rod Goodhart

Fastone

As a Director of a DCI finalist, it was a pleasure to deal with a true gentleman. He was always professional and a true credit to the activity.

Weather you agreed with the score he gave or not,you always got a complete and thorough read from him. And unlike some others,he would back up his read in the meeting.

When I think about Rod Goodhart I wonder whether we'll ever see that class of "legendary" judges - the ones who steer the activity with their courage and knowledge. In the beginning we had Donald Angelica, Dr Baggs, Sandra Opie, Jim Prime Sr, Rodney, et al.

Now? I'm not sure, and when I look at recaps from DCI I see a lot corps - I don't want to say "slotted" because that's simplistic and mostly incorrect, but when is the last time you saw

14th 13th 6th 12th 14th etc. across a corps' recap.

I think those corps are out there, the corps with one shining area that should really be reflected but seems to sink to the level of everything else.

there's a discussion somewhere else on DCP about Crossmen's visual and someone astutely pointed out that their GE Visual was about the same place as their GE Music, but honestly - anyone who saw that team knows that's nuts. They were way lopsided in both effect and performance between music and visual.

You have to accept the rulings on the field, otherwise there's no sense in competing, but I think one of the ways we had it better BITD is guys like Rodney, who were not afraid to call a 6th place a 6th place, even if the overall package was much lower. That can make all the difference in the world. Not sure there's a lot of those folks left. It was great to have them though.

• Like 1

It's odd, I was thinking about Mr Goodheart a couple days ago while looking at old Drum Corps recaps. He was a very nice guy. I remember him helping my uncle with his drum corps in the D.C. area in the late 70's early 80's. Rest in Peace...

It's odd, I was thinking about Mr Goodheart a couple days ago while looking at old Drum Corps recaps. He was a very nice guy. I remember him helping my uncle with his drum corps in the D.C. area in the late 70's early 80's. Rest in Peace...

That's exactly the way Rod was. EVERY corps was important because every kid was important to him and corps were made of kids, senior corps of big kids.

And Ray Fallon, the same held true for all those legendary judges you mentioned. I think JJ Pepitone and J. Prosperie are in that category.