2013 DVD Art

For the last few years, the corps that has won the Title gets a closeup shot from their show on the DVD cover. I just find it strange that this years kinda looks like Phantom from a distance.... Anyone have any inside info?

2013_Blu-ray_DVD_CD_PreOrder_960x330.jpg

Looks like placeholder art to me. Until they decide on the real pic.

Yeah, look at the guard uniforms. That's a shot from Phantom 2012, a Crown picture will probably be put in as the final cover.

For the last few years, the corps that has won the Title gets a closeup shot from their show on the DVD cover. I just find it strange that this years kinda looks like Phantom from a distance.... Anyone have any inside info?

2013_Blu-ray_DVD_CD_PreOrder_960x330.jpg

There have been complaints over the years that the Midwest based DCI front office does seem to use A LOT of Phantom and Cavies pictures, more so than let's say Academy or Pacific Crest.

• Like 1

Why would DCI even bother with an "ad" for 2013 media without the finalized artwork ...

Probably because they're looking to capitalize on the recent DCI 2013 Championship w/first-time Champion Crown. We're only a few weeks out from 2013 Finals, and I'm sure the finalized artwork is nowhere near decided (since the final product is also likely nowhere near finished). I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I think like many things online this is making a big deal over nothing: likely a placeholder, as others have mentioned. They're not selling the media based on packaging, but merely putting a stylized representation of the packaging for the media they're selling.

I think what happened is that after Allentown the DCI staff was so busy reading all these posts on DCP that the season was over and it was impossible for Crown to win scoring 6th in drums. I mean come on...do the math...6th in drums...impossible they said! As a result the Blue Devils artwork was designed and the marketing material was ready to go!

Impossible you say?

• Like 3

Why would DCI even bother with an "ad" for 2013 media without the finalized artwork ...

DCI, like any organization selling a product, has to strike while the iron is hot. Many will buy such a product while the memories of an event are still on their radar. Others will buy it when they're thinking about the holidays, which is when the artwork will show up with garland and other ornamentation of the season.

I think those who make these marketing decisions believe the drum corps audience will be able to tell when "your milage may vary" when it comes to place-setter artwork.

There have been complaints over the years that the Midwest based DCI front office does seem to use A LOT of Phantom and Cavies pictures, more so than let's say Academy or Pacific Crest.

Perceptions are strange.

There have also been complaints over the years that the office seems to use a lot of Santa Clara Vanguard and Blue Devils photos...more so than...let's say...a non-finalist corps that isn't from California.

I was taken to task this summer for writing a DVD Spotlight of the Week about one corps and starting it out by showing bias towards another corps by mentioning that corps in the first sentence. I had to point out that every Spotlight begins with perhaps three paragraphs summarizing what happened with the other corps during the particular season before getting to the bulk of the article.

Some time ago, I was also asked why I never write about the historical shows of a particular corps. I sent them links to multiple articles I had done on that corps...including one within the previous month of their question.

My photo is usually attached to everything I write. That is what everyone should be complaining about.

• Like 1