Brass Playing Icons -then and now

ironlips

For the generation before mine, buglers emulated stars like Harry James, Louis (no last name required), Tommy Dorsey, JJ Johnson and their like. You can hear this influence in the playing of legendary corps soloists like Tommy Martin, Bill Hightower, Bucky Swan, Joe Brancati, Bobby Gaff, John Simpson, Harry Hazelwood, Jimmy D'Amico. Ace Peterson, Riggie Laus, and so many more.

After 1962 or so, the deal was Maynard (no last name required) and Bill Watrous. Think of Pooh Bear, Jeff Kievit and Chris Metzger.

In recent years (with some notable exceptions) there's been a general scarcity of opportunities for great soloists in drum corps, and not for lack of talent.

A few minutes ago, I watched a cat render "Jingle Bells" at the National Christmas Tree Lighting. He played with that trademark drum corps bravaura sound and confidence, great expression and technique, spot-on pitch, and nailed a triple (yes) "F" at the end of the tune.

Here's hoping all the drum corps brass players have been paying attention to Arturo Sandoval. Perhaps the arrangers will notice, too.

Edited by ironlips
  • Like 5

Frank, I completely agree with you about the recent trend toward fewer and fewer featured soloists.

I don't like that trend at all.. especially on the DCA/all-age side of the activity. The soloist talent certainly is there... in both DCI and DCA... but the fact is, fewer corps are utilizing that talent.

To me, a featured soloist/soloists is a great vehicle to help a corps connect one-on-one with the members of the paying audience.

For the generation before mine, buglers emulated stars like Harry James, Louis (no last name required), Tommy Dorsey, JJ Johnson and their like. You can hear this influence in the playing of legendary corps soloists like Tommy Martin, Bill Hightower, Bucky Swan, Joe Brancati, Bobby Gaff, John Simpson and so many more.

After 1962 or so, the deal was Maynard (no last name required) and Bill Watrous. Think of PooBear, Jeff Kievit and Chris Metzger.

In recent years (with some notable exceptions) there's been a general scarcity of opportunities for great soloists in drum corps, and not for lack of talent.

A few minutes ago, I watched a cat render "Jingle Bells" at the National Christmas Tree Lighting. He played with that trademark drum corps bravaura sound and confidence, great expression and technique, spot-on pitch, and nailed a triple (yes) "F" at the end of the tune.

Here's hoping all the drum corps brass players have been paying attention to Arturo Sandoval. Perhaps the arrangers will notice, too.

You're right as always - and the talent level of some of these kids is off the hook. Noticed it even with DCI this year - some solos but mostly of the tasty variety as opposed to the balls out, let it rip, dare you to play this at home style of the old days.

I'm sure it's cyclical and someone will get the idea (probably Madison) to get these kids engaged again. Hope I don't miss it. If I do, bring a recording over to the urn on the mantle piece and turn it on.

Some of these guys, like Swan, Dorritie, D Allen, Ponzo, Ariola, et al, would make a bucket of dust want to getup and applaud.

I'm sure my dust will at least vibrate happily!

• Like 1

Despite the above, Ray's induction into the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame does not qualify him for the urn just yet.

He does get the High Imagery Caption Award for this week, however, and he's right about that Ruben Ariola cat. That dude is a movable feast with a cherry on top.

Ruben has some outstanding recorded solos, but he's best enjoyed live, and in living color...a certified monster. If Carlos Santana played the baritone he'd be Ruben, and the thing is, I've got to believe there are dozens of potential Ruben-zillas out there in Drum Corps Land just waiting for some gutsy brass arrangers to lay a few bars on them.

Jay-Bo, Jay-Ken, Michael the K, JD, Arranger X, Don H, 2CoolWD,...all those cats have the heavy pens that could do some serious justice here.

Despite the above, Ray's induction into the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame does not qualify him for the urn just yet.

He does get the High Imagery Caption Award for this week, however, and he's right about that Ruben Ariola cat. That dude is a movable feast with a cherry on top.

Ruben has some outstanding recorded solos, but he's best enjoyed live, and in living color...a certified monster. If Carlos Santana played the baritone he'd be Ruben, and the thing is, I've got to believe there are dozens of potential Ruben-zillas out there in Drum Corps Land just waiting for some gutsy brass arrangers to lay a few bars on them.

Jay-Bo, Jay-Ken, Michael the K, JD, Arranger X, Don H, 2CoolWD,...all those cats have the heavy pens that could do some serious justice here.

Ya know - Arranger X put a very cool trumpet solo into "Some Nights" this year (Crossmen) - good player too - had all the ingredients - when the show rewrites happened it ended up on the cutting room floor, which made me sad.

This leads me to the (I think) inescapable conclusion that the issue is not the players, or the arrangers, or the audience. It lies (at least for the time being) with the adjudicators (what they're giving credit for) and the show coordinators who (in my not nearly humble enough opinion) are opting for WGI shows more often than hot explosive brass shows.

Honest to god (I'm going to get myself in trouble here - so be it) but the show with the enormous Blue Ball up front and dancers twirling (yes I'm being a jerk) around it. Really? R E A L L Y ?

I know my dinosaur is showing here, but I remember crowds leaping to their feet for amazing playing, "Maynard Live At Jimmy's" etc. and big balls of another type.

This one? It's lovely, it's a spectacle - put it in a gym for a WGI show and play me some hot brass music.

• Like 2

Yes, you'll get in trouble for that, but not on this thread.

I'd suggest it's not the adjudicators who edit out solo segments. In my view, it's the visual designers.

In general, most just can't think of what to do with brass solos, and (in case you haven't noticed over the past 20 seasons or so) it's the Visual caption and concepts that drive all programming. That's why the music becomes a cut-and-paste buffet.

Until music people re-assert themselves, the "best" drum corps repertoires will be the ones we dislike the least, and that's the choice the adjudicator must make, too.

• Like 4

Yes, you'll get in trouble for that, but not on this thread.

I'd suggest it's not the adjudicators who edit out solo segments. In my view, it's the visual designers.

In general, most just can't think of what to do with brass solos, and (in case you haven't noticed over the past 20 seasons or so) it's the Visual caption and concepts that drive all programming. That's why the music becomes a cut-and-paste buffet.

Until music people re-assert themselves, the "best" drum corps repertoires will be the ones we dislike the least, and that's the choice the adjudicator must make, too.

Alright thanks Frank... now I'm ####ing depressed all over again.

As you and I have both seen and experienced, it's cyclical - it will work it's way back to a "Music first" activity when the visual folks run out of blow up dolls and parasols and parasails and moves that no human being could possible make while playing what they're trying to play, oh - and lest I forget, little deals where they pick up their feet instead of standing still to touch their toes to their knees, then deep knee bend, then every other person lean to the right while the next leans to the left, or the drills that look like spinning Rorschach tests and leave you wondering how you really feel about your parents.

And when that day comes, we'll be rescued and brought to the promised land by a screaming Double C (except now it will have to be an A) or an Ariola-like triple tonguing run up to a nasty ### lip trill.

And they will stand and applaud, because they'll understand it.

And the giant blue ball will be deflated for I don't know... longer than I have left.

I have a dream...

• Like 1

Now you are going to get us in trouble.

Neither of us advocates throwing out the blow-up babies with the bath water. There have been some extraordinary visuals in drum corps: the Madison Wedge, Bottle Dance, Chorus Line...etc, but they all supported the music. That notion has my support.

We're just looking for a return to balance between captions. Otherwise, just use a recording.

Bring back the 8 and 16 bar solo! (And credit the soloists, while you're at it.)

• Like 2

Neither of us advocates throwing out the blow-up babies with the bath water. There have been some extraordinary visuals in drum corps: the Madison Wedge, Bottle Dance, Chorus Line...etc, but they all supported the music. That notion has my support.

We're just looking for a return to balance between captions. Otherwise, just use a recording.

Bring back the 8 and 16 bar solo! (And credit the soloists, while you're at it.)

:ninja:

I feel so similar about the lack of brass solos today. Makes it feel like everything's Casper Milktoast. Mr. D, I had the opportunity to meet you at DCA last year, along with some of those HOF'ers that made the trip worthwhile. Having my chops water at Mr. Simpson's fabulous slip/slide bari - makes the last 40+ years of watching, playing and enjoying our activity more than worth it.

Too bad the kids today can't see the forest (all those great soloists) for the trees (the overemphasis on visual) They are truly missing the BEST part of the evolution..

BTW - don't forget some of those "unsung" soloists from the Midwest.. Thanks for mentioning Pooh Bear (RIP) Bari soloists never get enough love.. :wub:

Pat

• Like 1

"Getting in trouble since 1951!"

You're too important for me to get you in trouble.

BTW everything you mentioned was way outside what I was whining about - and I'll throw in the Z Pull and the Later S pull, plus Star's Magnificent sequence of Stars in '91.

To support our soloists we should start showing up with banners with pictures of the mythic "Clara" from Wendy's commercials and the slogan "I want to know - WHERE'S the BEEF!"

• Like 1