2014 smaller corps predictions.

I have no idea what's going to happen until I see some shows, from about the last two finalists down to around 18th place I have no guesses. To me momentum is i the hands of Blue Stars, Troopers, Colts, and Oregon Crusaders. But that's just me. I think the top 9 from last year are a safe call for finalists, from Blue Knights down to around Oregon Crusaders, I could see all sorts of stuff going on. Pacific Crest has a lot of good things going on in staff retention and two really good shows the past two years. Hope Academy redeems themselves with a much stronger show design, I thought the talent was all there last year. Definitely not counting them because of 1 bad show compared to 4 previous good ones. Mandarins were a shocker to me last year, will they stay on the path they started last year? I feel like if Pioneer and Cascades could get some more numbers on the field they could do some more, but I still see them taking up the bottom two spots in World Class, no offense to them. Jersey Surf, no idea. They'll be fun though.

Edited by DrumManTx

• 2 weeks later...

Re Troop momentum:

Audition interest for 2014 was off the charts

Camp attendance was record-setting

Average age of MMs is higher

The 2013 staff remains in place

Arrangers are the same, and the 2014 book is more demanding and mature

Not known (by me) at this point: Visual & color guard situation

Unknown by anyone until judging starts: whether the 2014 programming/design will be as enthusiastically received as the 2013 program/design

By all the usual measures, Troopers should be a stronger unit in 2014 than in 2013. And they were 0.15 out of finals in 2013.

This does not necessarily translate into higher placement. Other corps will be stronger/weaker than last year, too. It's entirely possible that Troop will improve its performance vs. 2013 yet drop its placement in 2014.

From a fan's perspective however, I think it's certain that if you liked Troop in 2013, you're gonna love them in 2014.

I think I missed this update, but I'm glad to learn that the Troopers apparently are having a fine offeseason in their preparation for this Summer's competition season. Go Troop!