Mid 1960s Encyclopedia DC pic

Okay ... Harry Hazelwood got back to me and thinks that it's the LI Saints ... but, he doesn't recognize the plumes ... seems to be throwing everyone!

I think we're close ... let's see what Screech says (though he may have been in Sun already) ... I think he also spent a year or two with Little Falls ... not sure what his progression through corps was ...

:-)

Before he went to Sun, Screech played with L.I.C. Saints, then the S.I. T-birds for a couple of years ('63 and '64 definitely) and, then Little Falls Cadets, '65 I think, and then on to the Sunrisers.

BTW, the circuit that the Saints competed in was the Liberty Circuit which was for corps just starting out in M&M. I don't think they went on to GSC or L.I. Circuit.

Looks like Ray is right on target about the Liberty Circuit ... from DCN 1963 written by Harvey Berish:

The MIDSHIPMEN Drum & Bugle Corps of the Sea Battalions organization has become the second corps in Bronx History to sponsor an M&M show... It will be held June 30th at Mt. Vernon Memorial Field on Sanford Ave. in Mt. Vernon... this show will be the kickoff show for the New LIBERTY Drum Corps Circuit we helped start.... hope you'll make it up there to cheer these new corps on... especially you folks involved in the Garden State Corps... Seems I recall the same situation about a year ago with you folks and I'm sure you want to throw your weight behind this new effort to promote corps in our area. The show is "Music In The Air" at 2 p.m. on Sunday the 30th. See you there.

Maybe Brian can scan through is old DCN's to see if there's a show ad ...

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 1

Looks like Ray is right on target about the Liberty Circuit ... from DCN 1963 written by Harvey Berish:

The MIDSHIPMEN Drum & Bugle Corps of the Sea Battalions organization has become the second corps in Bronx History to sponsor an M&M show... It will be held June 30th at Mt. Vernon Memorial Field on Sanford Ave. in Mt. Vernon... this show will be the kickoff show for the New LIBERTY Drum Corps Circuit we helped start.... hope you'll make it up there to cheer these new corps on... especially you folks involved in the Garden State Corps... Seems I recall the same situation about a year ago with you folks and I'm sure you want to throw your weight behind this new effort to promote corps in our area. The show is "Music In The Air" at 2 p.m. on Sunday the 30th. See you there.

Maybe Brian can scan through is old DCN's to see if there's a show ad ...

And the T-birds were there. I have some pix somewhere.

Answer to ironlips about which encyclopedia....

Encyclopedia International - Grolier Incorporated New York and Grolier of Canada, Ltd

Copyrights go from 1963 to 1967

Other than that it's a white and blue cover and doesn't smell that great after years in a slightly damp cellar....

Oh yeah, pic is up on the FB site Ray mentioned....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

We have a winner! ... Here's a response sent by John Arietano to Frank:

As for your "Mystery Corps"....You came to the right place....YES...It IS my first Field Corps...The one and only Long Island (City) SAINTS...from VFW Post 2348 in Astoria....
One of the dead give-away's is the 2-color Black-and-White Plumes...The SAINTS were one of the few Corps to use 2-color plumes...It was one way of maintaining some identity in the sea of Corps using Black/Gold/White as the Corps Colors...
Another give-away is the stripes on the Blouses...Vertical side-by-side Black and Gold stripes on the right side of the White Blouse...Many other Corps used either only one stripe (one color) or had a Diagonal stripe....

That was a fun search!
Got anymore Jim?

We have a winner! ... Here's a response sent by John Arietano to Frank:

As for your "Mystery Corps"....You came to the right place....YES...It IS my first Field Corps...The one and only Long Island (City) SAINTS...from VFW Post 2348 in Astoria....
One of the dead give-away's is the 2-color Black-and-White Plumes...The SAINTS were one of the few Corps to use 2-color plumes...It was one way of maintaining some identity in the sea of Corps using Black/Gold/White as the Corps Colors...
Another give-away is the stripes on the Blouses...Vertical side-by-side Black and Gold stripes on the right side of the White Blouse...Many other Corps used either only one stripe (one color) or had a Diagonal stripe....

That was a fun search!

Got anymore Jim?

I'm buying for everyone.... too bad Ray P and ironlips are the only ones (unless I'm forgetting someone) who know what what I look like...... :tounge2:

Wish I did Andy. Story is we started clearing out stuff from my folks house after my mom passed in 2006. Folks bought this set, a kiddie encyclopedia set and a set of science books when I was growing up and sister had just been born. Either a REAL good salesman or my folks figured I needed all the help I could get. In 2006 dad said if no one took 'em he'd pitch 'em so took then home to go thru in case anyone left a $50 bill as a book mark (year right). Checking off and on years later and only thing I saved was the corps pic. Real small towns get mentioned but no entry on "drum & bugle corps". :sad: I'm about 2/3rds thru and think the guys who pick up our recycling will be glad when I'm done..

Edited by JimF-LowBari

>>I knew that black/white plume was the key to the puzzle!<<

Brian ... maybe you could include the pic in an upcoming issue of DCW along with the story on how we solved the mystery of who it was ... lots of brainstorming by some dc oldies!

If you want the orignal pic PM me with your street address. Would be a better home than my folder of "stuff".....