Drums Along the Rockies 2014

Hey I actually went to this show!

Great show. Perfect weather, great field, some of the best acoustics in DCI.

I watched Troop in the lot so I only saw Troop on.

Troopers: Wow guys. I marched some good years but they are so far beyond what we did it is astounding. If this isn't the best Troopers hornline of all time (yet!) then I would be surprised. I like the show too- I know there have been complaints of "I don't get it" and the like, but I honestly think it is one of the better put-together programs out there right now. It needs more GE but that'll happen with additions. When I watched rehearsal they had just added a couple moments. Visually they need some work.

Madison: I don't know how they manage it, but the all-jazz show is pretty boring. Good moments, loud hornline, not interesting.

SCV: Again, it's hard for me to watch (especially in Denver!) a rehash of one of my favorite shows of all time. And honestly, it doesn't work. The show is well put together, but very flat IMO. There are no real down moments. It's all very loud with a couple very quiet moments that don't have the gravity they should. Hornline sounds good, trumpets are a little thin sounding compared to everyone else (including Troopers) and not enough high mellophone for the brass staff they have For some reason they were the biggest user of huge bass in the amps, even though they have a great loud tuba line. Shame on you, SCV. Drums are amazing but that doesn't save a show.

Blue Knights: Disclaimer, I kind of hate BK. I actually fell asleep at Finals watching their show in 2008.

They were great!! Good uniform change, new visual caption head (the guy from Phantom 2010-2013?) that made some GREAT changes, awesome hornline, good drumline. Show is put together very well and I like it. Narration is loud, but not overbearing and without it the show wouldn't make any sense. Good job, BK- I haven't liked a show of yours since 2011, and probably never before that!

Edited by burgerbob