Drum corps and dog Tags .... who was the first to wear them?

Hi all ... it's been almost 2 years since I've posted, but... in trying to catch up on Drum Corps after an illness/two surgeries.. I've watched several shows from 2013-2014 over & over and see now that SCV is now wearing dog tags... as far back as "I" can recall... maybe the early 90's? Phantom Regiment was possibly ( POSSIBLY ) the first to use Dog Tags for members/sections. Also, DCA corps are now using them, such as Buccaneers....

Was PR the 1st corps to start this tradition? And how ironic that former Phantom staff are now in CA with SVC and they too are now adorned with dog tags too ... I know, ( I am boased ) but seems kinda like corps identity theft... help me out here PRR alumni & staff..... were they ( Regiment ) the 1st to wear them, and, symbolically leave ONE of the 2 on the field at finals night? I saw this personally in the 90's and early 2000's....

Battery C, First Wisconsin Artillery. They were a National Guard unit formed in Racine in 1916, and sent to Ft. Hood TX for training.

But there was a major SNAFU. There were no big guns for them to train with.

Sitting around Ft. Hood, bored out of their gourds, they found a bunch of straight bugles and drums in a supply room.

With plenty of time on their hands, they figured out how to play the instruments. With plenty more time on their hands, they added some fancy drill and began performing retreat ceremonies.

The expected conflict with Mexico and Pancho Villa never materialized. But they did eventually get some artillery equipment and were deployed to France for WWI. The bugles and drums stayed home.

All the members wore dogtags. Not to be cool, but for the original intention. So that their corpses could be identified if they became combat casualties.

------------------------

After the war, a reunion party was held. The attendees decided to re-create the drum and bugle corps, this time under the sponsorship of the local American Legion Post 76. It was the first "alumni corps".

Other Legion posts saw the "Boys of 76" in parades and formed similar units. Competitions ensued, and the Boys brought four national championships back to Racine in the 20s.

Edited by HornsUp
  • Like 1

Hi all ... it's been almost 2 years since I've posted, but... in trying to catch up on Drum Corps after an illness/two surgeries.. I've watched several shows from 2013-2014 over & over and see now that SCV is now wearing dog tags... as far back as "I" can recall... maybe the early 90's? Phantom Regiment was possibly ( POSSIBLY ) the first to use Dog Tags for members/sections. Also, DCA corps are now using them, such as Buccaneers....

Was PR the 1st corps to start this tradition? And how ironic that former Phantom staff are now in CA with SVC and they too are now adorned with dog tags too ... I know, ( I am boased ) but seems kinda like corps identity theft... help me out here PRR alumni & staff..... were they ( Regiment ) the 1st to wear them, and, symbolically leave ONE of the 2 on the field at finals night? I saw this personally in the 90's and early 2000's....

It started after my time in the corps, though I don't know when.