BK still using 2v Mellos in '97?

Thanks everyone for answering my questions. I had no idea 2 valve bugles were used so late.

Crown still had 50% of their low brass on 2 valve Dynastys in 1996. I'm pretty sure they finally phased out their 2 valves by 1997.

I remember Pioneer (not a finalist, I know) using 2 valve Dynasty baritones as late as 2007.

That's incredible. Were they the last Division I/World Class corps to use G bugles?

I've been curious what corps were still using bugles by the 2004 season (quarterfinals that year was my first DCI event).

Thanks everyone for answering my questions. I had no idea 2 valve bugles were used so late.

That's incredible. Were they the last Division I/World Class corps to use G bugles?

I've been curious what corps were still using bugles by the 2004 season (quarterfinals that year was my first DCI event).

If i recall, Pio WAS the last World Class to make the switch...I haven't been to a show in years, but I'd imagine you might find some 2 valved horns out there in smaller startups here and there....but with the any key switch in 2000, 2 valve use in gthe Jr ranks dropped fast.

On the other hand, corps selling 2 valve or other G inventory off contributed greatly to the increase in SR corps starting up, as DCA had not yet approved any key brass at that time (and would not until the 2004 season).

I played on a 2 valve G sop in SoCal Dream in 02 and 05 (also 03-04 until I got the podium)...went to a 3 valve in 06 primarily because I was the only 2 valve in the sop line and didn't want to create an intonation issue...I think we were all on Kanstul Powerbores by mid rehearsal season.

I remember Glassmen's contras dragging a pile of K90s around as late as 2001. I know we had exactly as many 3 valve sopranos as we had people in 2001, so if a horn was in the shop somebody got to play the Olds Ultratone. I'm pretty sure I played a single piston alto at drill camp in 00 or 01.

What I find really intriguing is which horns corps chose to phase out first - I think it says something about their arranging or teaching styles back then. Personally, I think it was really smart for SCV to phase out their baris first, because they still had French horn bugles in 1990, so there weren't very many "missing notes" in the mid range - what they might have wanted was to fill the gap between the euphs and contras more easily. And what's really interesting is that CBC had 3v sops AND mellos in 1991, but their mello soloist in 1990 was still using a 2v King, and the sops were apparently all still on 2v then too. Presumably, they phased out the bottom half of the mellos and kept the 2v Kings for the top half...