2015 Drum Corps Associates World Championships Preliminary Competition

Palladio. We associate this piece with diamonds, but think of this piece used in the way that freshly fallen snow sparkles on the ground.

I think three corps played "Palladio" this year--did the rights suddenly become available?

It's only the opener but this is a Finalist show. Design is a significant step up from the previous Open Class corps.

At about the same time, I was thinking about what BigW said last week about the brass parts not being quite up to the level of the corps ranked just below Gold, and wondering if the judges would agree with him. Apparently they did.

Nice little visual effect with the guard making their rifles "shiver", straps facing the crowd to add to the effect.

Yes, a really clever touch!

Cool effect with the props, closed eyes suddenly opening! Hard to describe without you seeing it.

I heard people around me saying, "Those eyes are creepy".

Does anyone know if CV was inspired for this visual by Broken Arrow's 2014 show (which was my favorite high school marching band production of last year)?

Cavalier step-over of guard.

I would have enjoyed that more had not the guy behind me announced before the show that we all had to watch for a cool moment in the guard when the big push happened at the end ... and then told everyone, "Here it comes!" just before it did.

Kidsgrove Scouts are up. The Boston Crusaders loaned them all of their instruments and equipment trucks.

Thanks for clearing up that mystery! I wondered why I saw Boston's trucks.

Now who was it that rented Pioneer's buses?

OK, so this show is what would happen if Madison and Star had a kid.

Isn't that what people expected when Mason joined Scouts in 2010?

Druid priests are now spreading incense while the guard shroud themselves in translucent gray silks.

The censers were so active that the debris on the field caught the attention of DCA's T&P judge before Fusion performed. I feared a Boston baby-powder penalty (which would be particularly ironic given the source of Kidsgrove's instruments), but apparently DCA doesn't have that rule.

And now we're doing a company front... to the backfield!

That was such a cool moment.

Hmm, these scores don't make sense to me . . .

1. MB in 4th?

2. Cadets2 passing both the Cabs and MB?

3. A 2 point gap between 1st and 2nd? I thought Bucs had it but not by that much. I'll have to think this over some more.

1. Based on scores, MBI was already in fourth going into Prelims.

2. Which means that C2 only passed Cabs.

3. The gap between first and second is only 1.45--because C2 is in second with 95.78.