Competitive Appreciation

So after seeing some great shows we can all agree- Talent, level of show design and performances are at an all time high. This is true not only in World Class but Open Class too. That said, I figured we'd show some appreciation for corps we don't often discuss at length here that really deserve our appreciation. Here's some of my early faves:

Academy- has really grown into a fine competitive drum corps. Fun, well thought out show material. If they're not a finalist it's going to be heart breaking. But, they've really done a ton this year to get people to come to Arizona. Regardless of placement this is going to be a great season to remember.

Troopers- This is flat out the best I've ever seen the Troop. Just phenomenal show with outrageous brass playing. Again, may or may not make finals but my goodness what an incredible show and leap forward.

Oregon Crusaders- I was stunned listening to them. Death Hunt is one of my all time favorites so I was head nodding for quite a bit of their show. Maybe a strange Uni design but they've definitely moved their thematic material up a few notches!!

Cascades- So great to see the Cascades have a Fresh Look and Sound Fresh! Huge leaps forward from Seattle. The show was engaging and horns were great. Really neat to see the Northwest so engaged with the Columbians doing so well as well.

Just a few... Any thoughts

• Like 7

Every year there is usually one show that I don't care much for. This year I really like every single show, and love more shows than any other year. Academy is very impressive this year, one of their best shows since they went into World Class. Colts, Pacific Crest, Mandarins, and Oregon Crusaders are also extremely entertaining this year. And many of the Open Class corps are amazing. Genesis, BDB, SCVC, Gold, Golden Empire, Columbians, are all putting out wonderful shows. I think this year quarterfinals is going to be the best ever. Amazing shows from top 5, clear down to the 30th and lower placing corps.

• Like 2

Lots of good stuff to be found with these Corps.

One of the misconceptions we sometimes hear is that all the " innovativeness, originality, new things, etc " is found first in DCI with the Elite Corps at the very top. But my observations over the years has shown that this is not neccesarily the case at all. Lots of new, fresh ideas are actually seen and heard first with these level Corps. Whether it was the first use of the violin ( Oregon Crusaders), or the 1st use of a synthesizer ( by a 20th placing Corps at the time, Boston ), first use of electric guitar ( Teal Sound ), etc and dozens of new and creative things first found in DCI with these level Corps. Then, ironically, we oftentimes then see the Elite Corps incorporating some of these innovative things or new instrumentations into their future shows. Thats why I always try and catch these level Corps shows, not only because many of them can be very entertaining, but also to see what new, fresh, and creative things are being done here with these fine Corps.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Great thread!

Academy: Rising star corps with a legit shot at finals. This is very exciting!

Troopers: Lots to love about their show - very timely given recent events. Fix You is beautiful.

Oregon Crusaders: Have upped their game in both design & execution for 2016. And I love the unis - which are 2 piece with bib and jacket.

Cascades: Without a doubt this corps has made the most dramatic changes of all mentioned here. They have swagger now. Cascades are back!!!

• Like 1

Lots of good stuff to be found with these Corps.

One of the misconceptions we sometimes hear is that all the " innovativeness, originality, new things, etc " is found first in DCI with the Elite Corps at the very top. But my observations over the years has shown that this is not neccesarily the case at all. Lots of new, fresh ideas are actually seen and heard first with these level Corps. Whether it was the first use of the violin ( Oregon Crusaders), or the 1st use of a synthesizer ( by a 20th placing Corps at the time, Boston ), first use of electric guitar ( Teal Sound ), etc and dozens of new and creative things first found in DCI with these level Corps. Then, ironically, we oftentimes then see the Elite Corps incorporating some of these innovative things or new instrumentations into their future shows. Thats why I always try and catch these level Corps shows, not only because many of them can be very entertaining, but also to see what new, fresh, and creative things are being done here with these fine Corps.

Good points. Some of that may come from the fact that they have less to lose -- and a whole lot more to gain -- from a competition standpoint, as compared to those in the top 3-5.

• Like 1

There are going to be some truly excellent drum corps that won't even make semis this year.

That is one reason I would highly suggest to everyone out there to go to prelims on Thursday if you possibly can. And if you can't attend prelims, try to watch DCI Live broadcast of the corps seeded below 15th place. I believe this is probably the best group of shows ever outside the top 15. There are truly shows for everyone out there. These lower placing corps work their butts off just like all the other corps, please get out there and support them. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised on how great some of these shows are.

• Like 1

Amen!!! There's some fantastic drum corps out there beyond the top 15!!!

• Like 1