Semifinals Review

Well, I watched BD and then hit the road so that I could quickly make it back to my hotel while the othes wait for the last few scores.

First off, weather was great most of the day and no rain to be found this evening. Nice and cool too. We had some rain this morning, but it really was perfect drum corps weather for the show. Field was in excellent shape (at least from where I was sitting--1st deck, 38 yard line, mid way up, stage right).

As for the shows, here is how I felt to night:

1. BD - 98.5 Excellent show design, very clean and very musical performance. Love the percussion writing and I really enjoyed the guard. The last tune is the best. Marching technique is the best, and they probably took high brass and high guard as well. Not sure about overall GE or Visual. It is close with Cavies.

2. Cavaliers - 97.25 Great great show. really makes you think. Spin Cycle is captivating and mezmorizing. Their ability to draw you in visually is just amazing. I love the comical block in the middle of the show in which a number of soloists perform these corny excerpts that tie in to the show and are accentuated by the guard. Brilliant!!! As much as I loved it, thought Cadets beat them tonight.

3. Cadets - 96.55 Perhaps the cleanest show of the evening, they sent goose bumps up and down my body. So musical, so much emotion in the music. WOW. Just very clean and very musical. Their guard was spectacular tonight. I have them in 2nd. Percussion was unreal and I have them in 1st. And their brass was also spectacular and I have them in 2nd or a tie for 1st. Yes, I thought they were that good. Their weakness continues to be the GE music and the GE visual captions. Just not enough points in this show (if you will). But their performance levels are what we expect of a champion--as good as anybody on the field.

4. SCV - 95.15 Love the music. Takes some getting used to and there were things about it tonight that I didn't like vs last night. Brass was a little edgy tonight and the attacks in the sopranos and mellos were ugly at times. But overall this was an amazing performance. Visual book is as good as anybody this year, but they are still dity. Lots and lots of bad intervals. Guard was really ON tonight.

5. Phantom - 94.65 Again, this horn line is amazing. Such a great sound and what a challenging horn book. Overall best articulations and technique of the night--at least as good as Cadets and BD. guard was good tonight, and the drums are very good. Thought their show was really tight except for the body work and the last 4 or 5 sets of drill in the closer. Clean it tomorrow and make a strong move on SCV.

6. Boston - 92.00 I agree with the score. They were solid tonight. No, more than solid, try outstanding. They separated themselves from Bluecoats just a little. Opener is exciting and fast, and they performed it to a T this evening. Ballad is incredible and I love he low brass intro as they play it backfield. Closer is very good except for the last few sets. Just kind of wanders and the mood of the show slows a bit. Still love it and their guard is wonderful, the design is wonderful.

7. Bluecoats - 90.4 Good to see the Coats hit the 90 mark this year. Once again I thought they were ON FIRE tonight. Brass is easily their strong point, but drums and guard are also excellent. I like this show because it is classy, well designed, performed at a high level, and it makes sense. The last few minutes tend to wander some so I don't get that final closing feel that I desire, but the musical aspects are really solid for the most part, and their drill and overall visuall design is excellent.

8. Madison Scouts - 89.75 WOW, great show tonight guys. Very mature sound out of the horns, and much more power than what I heard even last night. They were probably the second or 3rd loudest line fo the night. I guess SCV and Phantom were tied for 1, at least in my opinion. Love this closer. What a nice groove. Solid marching tonight. Much stronger than last night. Percussion seemed flat to me, not as energized as they were last night. Maybe it was my different perspective tonight.

9. Carolina Crown - 88.35 This show is amazing. Bells, Bells everywhere. Love the beautiful music and sounds, love the uniforms, and I love the sound of this brass line. Marching was rough, and I kind of thought Crossmen had them tonight. Intervals and overall technique is inconsistent with Crown. Guard is wonderful and were really ON this evening. Beautiful choice of flags and colors, and I love the outfits. They have been marching one hole in the horn line. I wonder if that will be the case tomorrow.

10. Crossmen - 87.75 Their score was a little low from my perfspective. I had them about .4 over Crown. This show is so much fun, I just want to dance for most of it (but I didn't so as not to scare the crowd away). I thought their brass and drums were just a tad better than Crown, and that they marched their show better. And from a technical standpoint I think both shows are equal in demand and overall GE.

11. Magic of Orlando - 86.5 Welcome to the top 12 again. Great performance tonight. Horn line had some problems with cracked notes and edgy attacks, but their over performance was solid. Good power. Very interesting show, but I liked it.

12. Spirit of JSU - 85.5 WOW. They showed up tonight. Really great show and verey powerful. I didn't get to see them last night, but I am glad I did tonight. Word in the crowd was that they were much improved over last night. People around me were not surprised that they made finals. Good job. Bravo!

Well, I will write more later but I am getting tired.

A few more comments in general:

1. Thought Cadets beat Cavies tonight, and so did many around me, but Cavies were also excellent, and I do love the show.

2. Cadets should win high drums. Don't care what anyone says, they are in a league of their own now. But that is just my opinion.

3. BD is amazing, fun, and clean and will walk away with number 11. Congratulations, BD! You deserve it.

4. Phantom may not win horns, and they may, but one thing is for sure: their horn line has some serious b_lls, and they let it rip, even on the most difficult of licks. Love that sound.

5. Madison is for real and back, nice job.

6. Bluecoats are developing one of the better and more musical horn lines in the activity.

7. Thought Cadets and BD should tie in guard and visual performance.

Oh well, it was a great night of corps once again. Tomorrow is the big one to end the season--a great season it was. Enjoy.

Thanks for the notes Jonathan!

I'm looking forward to your full review of finals!

Edited by usmpiano