SCV and BD in top 2...really?!!

6 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

I wish. Doing a week in Indy is on my bucket list, but my job and my 11 month old son (who incidentally owns a SCV onesie) keep me in FL

####. Really wish you could attend a BD rehearsal, or a run through in person. At field level. I think you'd understand.

• Like 1

Just now, BDCorno said:

####. Really wish you could attend a BD rehearsal, or a run through in person. At field level. I think you'd understand.

I think in a way I do, but that starts another debate. At what distance should be optimal to fully understand a show? Am I at a disadvantage if I have 300 level seats?

6 minutes ago, Everyfan said:

This is something I have tried to clarify a number of times here. Doing one impossibly hard thing perfectly is amazing and a wonderful accomplishment, BUT it only proves you can do that one thing. Even if you have the greatest talent on the field that can do anything they are asked, you never showed it to the judges or the audience. This is where the variety of skills comes into play. The Blue Devils are well versed in showing off a variety of skills throughout the show. This is where they get a lot of points in the visual caption, even if they don't "march"as many drill sets as others.

Neither SCV or BD are doing ONE impossibly hard thing. So the point is already flawed. SCV does body movements, moves props flawlessly, does incredible drill at tight intervals among those props, fields an equally talented guard doing equally hard work and plays music which is par with what BD is playing. They just do more marching and less body movement.

Edited by Treefidy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ContraFart said:

I think in a way I do, but that starts another debate. At what distance should be optimal to fully understand a show? Am I at a disadvantage if I have 300 level seats?

Sorry, not clear on my part. You made the statement that you felt other corps' shows were more physically demanding...the way to appreciate what they're doing is to see it up close. Many times, they move so well, you don't really realize how difficult what they're doing is. Down on the field, you can really see it. As for understanding their show, you can do that at many levels. My specific intent was to address your questions regarding the physicality of what they do. That's it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Neither SCV or BD are doing ONE impossibly hard thing. So the point is already flawed. SCV does body movements, moves props flawlessly, does incredible drill at tight intervals among those props, fields an equally talented guard doing equally hard work and plays music which is par with what BD is playing. They just do more marching and less movement.

...and park and blow much more.

4 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Neither SCV or BD are doing ONE impossibly hard thing. So the point is already flawed. SCV does body movements, moves props flawlessly, does incredible drill at tight intervals among those props, fields an equally talented guard doing equally hard work and plays music which is par with what BD is playing. They just do more marching and less body movement.

You know the more you post, the more I feel compelled to defend BD.

• Like 1

Just now, BDCorno said:

...and park and blow much more.

Why should that 21 seconds matter. How many championships has BD won parking and blowing?

2 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

You know the more you post, the more I feel compelled to defend BD.

You can feel compelled to defend whoever you'd like...

My response was to him though. Not you...

2 minutes ago, BDCorno said:

Sorry, not clear on my part. You made the statement that you felt other corps' shows were more physically demanding...the way to appreciate what they're doing is to see it up close. Many times, they move so well, you don't really realize how difficult what they're doing is. Down on the field, you can really see it. As for understanding their show, you can do that at many levels. My specific intent was to address your questions regarding the physicality of what they do. That's it.

I never liked that "they do it so well they make it look easy" argument. I don't think what BD does completely lacks physicality, but comparatively it is at times much less physical than corps like cadets. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

I never liked that "they do it so well they make it look easy" argument. I don't think what BD does completely lacks physicality, but comparatively it is at times much less physical than corps like cadets. 

I'd just invite you to come to a rehearsal some time. It's apparently the only way you might understand what I'm talking about. I can tell you BD has kids from Bluecoats, Crown, Cadets and many others. Wish I could introduce you and let you ask them what they think about how BD's show compared to where they came from. They'll tell you. Somehow I think that may be the only way you'll believe it.

Edited by BDCorno
  • Like 3