2017 impressions from an old school guy

A few impression from an old school guy on 2017:

.   Loved all the shows this year. Creativity by staffs and the best performers in the world.These kids are amazing. However, had some issues with the electronics and amplification. Do we really need to sample the horns and amplify 68 of them ? Last year I think they used them better. I really don't want to notice them and I did this year. When you go to a concert you are not there for the amplification . Small criticism though.

Another thing I noticed this year. I think some of the kids spent as much time moving props around as they did playing. I don't think I would have enjoyed that.

On a personal note, I saw an old instructor of mine , Ken Turner judging at TOC in Buffalo.How is it possible that KT is not in the DCI Hall of Fame ? Just his judging resume from the 80's through today should get him in. Plus he was an awesome instructor. Saved our ### in 77 with Etobicoke. He also worked with the Bridgmen and other corps, Brass Caption head for DCI. Don't understand why he is not in.

Also heard that DCI rules congress is not held until January. Does anyone know if this is true ? Don't understand how you can plan programs in October and then adjust them to rules in Jan. Doesn't make any sense to me. Seems like a rules congress at the end of Sept. Would be a good idea.

• Like 4

To answer the question about Rules Congress - yes it is in January and this is earlier than usual

However, by then many corps have ordered (electronic) equipment and made decisions regarding their shows

So even if a "reign in the amplification" rule is passed I'd say there's a good chance it won't go into effect until 2019

I wonder if corps directors will make some changes to electronics (reduce their dependence) on their own, before the next rules congress. I would say the only corps that truly benefited from electronics in scoring and show design was Cavaliers, because if you removed electronics from their show the show flat out doesn't work. (Don't get me started...)

Electonic mishaps of all kinds were an issue all season long. Many of these issues, imo, are not fixable given the unique time, financial and performance constraints of drum corps. Electronics too often are hurting, not enhancing, the viewing experience.

I would have to guess that everyone will take a long hard look at singing soloists and determine how that idea should be used, if at all. Singing isnt going away, but building a show around singing imho is a questionable design decision. I don't think either Crown or Cadets had better general effect because of singing. Many, if not most, have argued it hurt their GE, and was distracting.

For me, if we removed all singing the activity moves on as better, less complex, more entertaining, and easier to score. I wouldn't miss it one bit. I can't say that about any other aspect of drum corps. It won't disappear, but it isn't central to dci.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Etobicokedave62 said:

A few impression from an old school guy on 2017:

.   Loved all the shows this year. Creativity by staffs and the best performers in the world.These kids are amazing. However, had some issues with the electronics and amplification. Do we really need to sample the horns and amplify 68 of them ? Last year I think they used them better. I really don't want to notice them and I did this year. When you go to a concert you are not there for the amplification . Small criticism though.

Another thing I noticed this year. I think some of the kids spent as much time moving props around as they did playing. I don't think I would have enjoyed that.

On a personal note, I saw an old instructor of mine , Ken Turner judging at TOC in Buffalo.How is it possible that KT is not in the DCI Hall of Fame ? Just his judging resume from the 80's through today should get him in. Plus he was an awesome instructor. Saved our ### in 77 with Etobicoke. He also worked with the Bridgmen and other corps, Brass Caption head for DCI. Don't understand why he is not in.

Also heard that DCI rules congress is not held until January. Does anyone know if this is true ? Don't understand how you can plan programs in October and then adjust them to rules in Jan. Doesn't make any sense to me. Seems like a rules congress at the end of Sept. Would be a good idea.

I started watching DCI in 1978 and drifted away from the activity in the late 80's.  I renewed my interest around 2010 when my kids started playing in HS marching band. Needless to say, it was a sensory shock.

I've warmed up to a lot of it, but there are some things I just can't get past, chief among them the electronics and amplification. It simply creates such an artificial sound. Polished and well produced? Sure. But I feel as if I'm listening to a studio creation as opposed to live brass on the field. I get that  trumpet isn't a soprano and an un mic'd trumpet would barely be heard, but it still comes off as artificial to me, as opposed to the pure raw sound years ago.

And singing. All of the vocalists were terrific, and why wouldn't they be? But really, I don't want to hear singers. It's too Broadway/Show Choir for me.

And finally, I have a real distaste for the costuming trend. I can't stress that enough.

My ideal today would be (1) modern drill design and movement, (2) more traditional uniforms for the brass and percussion (I would have loved seeing SCV last night in traditional aussies), (3) ditch the singing and electronics, (4) more actual music, as opposed to merely sounds generated to enhance the visual. 

I'd elaborate more but there are kids on my lawn that I need to get rid of.

Edited by StunnedMonkey
  • Like 2

As to the above post, I am likely around you age and experience, and all I can say is, it is a different activity today. And the activity is very much influenced by Winter Guard, which did not exist when we were in band.

You can't understand the parameters and perceptions of drum corps and marching arts without fully understanding Winter guard. Recorded music, costuming, heavy-handed themes, and by definition small ensemble and soloist performances are the basic concepts of winter guard. Live music performance and drill marching literally does not really matter in winter guard. 

All of the dci designers and instructors dissect and assimilate everything they now do from winter guard. Many of the instructors and nearly all of the judges have come from winter guard. Not the other way around.

3 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

As to the above post, I am likely around you age and experience, and all I can say is, it is a different activity today. And the activity is very much influenced by Winter Guard, which did not exist when we were in band.

You can't understand the parameters and perceptions of drum corps and marching arts without fully understanding Winter guard. Recorded music, costuming, heavy-handed themes, and by definition small ensemble and soloist performances are the basic concepts of winter guard. Live music performance and drill marching literally does not really matter in winter guard. 

All of the dci designers and instructors dissect and assimilate everything they now do from winter guard. Many of the instructors and nearly all of the judges have come from winter guard. Not the other way around.

Yes. I agree that most of what we see today is the WGI influence. It's more Outdoor Summer Guard than anything I remember from my youth.

I made a (somewhat) sarcastic post in another thread about what I envision DCI will be like in 20 years. I was sort of joking, but then not really. I'd imagine that the days of full brass lines are numbered.