Need some help on colleges

bssop97

I'm going back to school and get my Ed degree...

I'm starting the process of choosing schools so that I can apply for aid.

What I'm looking for is a good professor that is not a 100% legit player. For lack of a better terms.... a jazzer. My first go round of college was not to joyous and I actually changed my major, I couldn't stand the proffessor ( great player and person just not what I wanted to play)

I'm in the south (Alabama) but location isn't an issue, I just want a place where I'm happy at.

Shannon Jeffreys

Blue Stars 97,99

Shannon, do you prefer large universities or smaller colleges?

What's your financial situation?

Have you looked at Troy State? (don't know how far you are from Troy, AL). They offered a great Master's Program in International Relations when I was in the UK, and although it isn't Harvard/Yale/Princeton/Stanford, I was very impressed with the profs they had overseas - PhD's all, some from Oxford, Penn, Boston.

Hope this helps! Best of luck to ya!

Go to IU... Indiana University - Bloomington that is... If you want to talk about an amazing music department check out their website. They are one of the best and most under rated schools of muisc in the nation. very very good music ed!

music.indiana.edu (ithink)

:lol:

kiley

A couple of friends from high school went to Indiana State U. in Terre Haute for their teaching degrees. At the time (early '80's) it was considered to be the school to go to if you wanted to become a teacher.

I'm a student at Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo, Michigan right now. I'm not sure if you've looked into too many schools up here, but I think you might want to check out University of Michigan's prof. I'm not sure how much illegitimate playing he does but he does good work. Also you might want to come and check out our prof here at good ol' WMU. He's a good guy.

man

Arizona State

Sam and Pat are as cool as anyone you'd ever meet.

What I'm looking for is a good professor that is not a 100% legit player. For lack of a better terms.... a jazzer.

If you're looking for a program that offers both, you need to seriously consider the University of North Texas. Granted, they've got over 2,000 majors and it's quite competitive, but it's THE place to go for jazz.

Youngstown State University in Youngstown, Ohio is oftenly looked at as a less popular school. Tuition is very low, our jazz program performs in conventions, clinics, and concerts (with Dave Holland and many others). Our website is www.ysu.edu. Check it out!

• 2 weeks later...

Shannon-

Seeing as you're in south AL you really might want to check out Jacksonville State. We have a great trumpet studio, and definitely have a kickin jazz studio. The Director of Jazz Studies is Dr. Chip Crotts, who is also our soprano tech at Spirit during the summer. He does a fantastic job of running the jazz program here. He brings a lot of experience to the table, having performed with Disney, North Texas, Maynard Ferguson and other big bands, various studio bands, and marched with Phantom Regiment and as a featured soloist in Blue Devils for 2 years.

His email is ccrotts@jsucc.jsu.edu. Drop him a line. JSU is ridiculously affordable, and there are scholarships available for jazz/marching/pep/concert bands.

Best of luck,

Mark Fifer

Brass arranger, Spirit

Director of Athletic Bands, JSU

Well, since every one else is, let me shill my school, too.

Indiana University of Pennsylvania is located about an hour northeast of Pittsburgh. The main trumpet professor is Dr. Kevin Eisensmith, who used to play in the U.S. Army Forces Command Band. He also is director of the IUP "Heads" Jazz Ensemble. The director of bands is Dr. Jack Stamp, renowned composer and conductor, and almost all of the faculty are among the best in their fields. IUP has about 14,000 students, and 350 music majors. I know it doesn't hold a candle to IU or NT, but if you're looking for a little bit smaller school where you will know everyone and everyone will know you, please consider IUP.

Indiana University of Pennsylvania-Department of Music

Edited by tankbone2002