2004 Improvements

stxmoose32

So, Cadets won their third straight drum title. Congrats to them, but Im sure some of the other big dogs are itchin' to crack the streak. So, my question is:

In what way would each of the following percussion sections need to improve (as far as specific sections, staff, arrangements, etc.) to earn the drum titile in Denver?

What sections were great this year and what could have used some work?

BD

Cavies

SCV

Phantom

Other

Troy

Let me just say that this year in percussion was awsome. Never before have I seen such awsome writing as I've seen this year.

To answer your question I would have to say that for each group to win the trophy they would have to do this.

BD- Clean up their awsome book. They had by far the coolest battery book in DCI this year but they were not clean by any means.

SCV- Not much to say here. I thought they should have one the trophy. Clean rolls up to their ears and awsome beats.

Cavies- The cavaliers just need to realize that they need to do something very different and cool with their book. I think a lot of the time they just come off as boring.

Phantom- They just needed to have a stronger bass line. (only comment)

Just to add one more thing. Carolina Crowns percussion this year was really exciting to watch and listen to. Judges need to just give this group a break in the future to help them move up.

Thats all I have to say. Good luck.

i agree w/ everything you just said

• 2 weeks later...
Cavies- The cavaliers just need to realize that they need to do something very different and cool with their book. I think a lot of the time they just come off as boring.

I claim to know nothing about DCI and drumlines. (even though I am/was a percussionist)...but....perhaps if they trimmed down their line a little that would help. I mean 10 snares!? That's insane IMO. Remember in 96, when like, everyone had 4-7-5?

I claim to know nothing about DCI and drumlines. (even though I am/was a percussionist)...but....perhaps if they trimmed down their line a little that would help. I mean 10 snares!? That's insane IMO. Remember in 96, when like, everyone had 4-7-5?

That all changed when they expanded the size of the corps from 128 to 135. That changed a "normal" snare line from being 7 or so to being 9 or so.

Jim