Review of Syracuse

First time review....although not a good one....but , what the heck...

Kingston Grenadiers.....much improved. I liked this show, and so did the crowd. Music could be more crowd friendly, but has come along way since the Buffalo show this year. Clean up the M&M and you will make the finals. Drum line was the exciting part of this corp...good show guys (and girls).

Empire Statesmen.....wow, crowd pleaser for sure. This corp would be the winner if they had the numbers. Great drumline, good horns, great guard and so entrtaining! Fun show to watch. Great GE when guard member was losing his pants during the show....striped underwear....classy :P (could be part of the show...dunno). Demand is there fo the guard altough they didn't win that caption. They MOVE while they do the work. Doesn't the judge see that???????

Hurricanes.....okay show (although the concept is not there). They have improved though and you can see the difference. Good for them! Another great guard that works on the move....good going!! They could surprise someone at DCA if they get any better (I suppose anyone could), but Hurcs are a nice corp to watch.

Rochester Crusaders.......I for one liked this show. Classical, not exactly Phantom Regiment but its the Srs. answer to DCI classics. The drill works well with the hornline. Drumline has a great solo and seems to do it well. Don't know what the judges are looking for, but Crusaders seem to be doing it very well. The drumline really compliments the hornline too. What a great change to hear this classical music played so well. The closer needs to have a little more power (horns get tired quick). A solid 3rd place and would like to see this show again, and if it improves, they will surprise many too.

Syracuse Brigadiers....wow, what a hornline (the Jr. Blue Devils is what people were calling them). They really wail out there (although they do that well when they are standing still). Drill doesn't go no where, but there size does it for them. Drums are better then what I anticipated....great snares. Guard is HUGE, but noticed that when a banner gets behind on a spin, they drop it on the ground and just 'air' the spin. Doesn't that judge pick up on that?????? Very noticable, and this isn't the fist time I've seen that. Is this how you win best guard? Empire and Hurcs guard was a better working guard. Sorry Brigs, but that's the only caption you shouldn't have won. My bet for DCA Champs again because Cabs need to clean-up too much drill.

Then again, if Cabs get as smart as Brigs and stand still to play the hard licks they can take it. If Cabs guard drops the equipment instead of spinning (aka Brigs) they will beat Brigs guard. Too many ifs.....

If the judges didn't go by size of the corp....well, then someone else would win because of a better show. Good luck to all at DCA.

Guard is HUGE, but noticed that when a banner gets behind on a spin, they drop it on the ground and just 'air' the spin.  Doesn't that judge pick up on that??????  Very noticable, and this isn't the fist time I've seen that.  Is this how you win best guard?

Hmmm, I suppose our guard member should of stopped to tape up the flag that came undone on her pole, rather than toss the flag away. Sure that 32 counts of re-taping wouldn't of been noticable at all!

People kill me...

Gotta love it, Geoff....

Guard is HUGE, but noticed that when a banner gets behind on a spin, they drop it on the ground and just 'air' the spin.  Doesn't that judge pick up on that??????  Very noticable, and this isn't the fist time I've seen that.  Is this how you win best guard?

Hmmm, I suppose our guard member should of stopped to tape up the flag that came undone on her pole, rather than toss the flag away. Sure that 32 counts of re-taping wouldn't of been noticable at all!

People kill me...

Gotta love it, Geoff....

thank you Geoff 'cause I was just getting ready to respond...the girl who "threw the flag away" did it because it became untaped. It's really difficult to toss a flag with only one end taped.

When this situation came up in critique, we're told the guard judge said, "wow, smart performer". She's got a lot of years of experience on her, I know she did what she had to do.