Kanstul 3 valve magnum contras

Captainwelch

I jsut got back from camp. Our contra line has a new fleet of brand spanking new kanstul 3 valve mags (bootyful horns) and we're trying to figure out the best hand placements.

Ideally, the best hand placement will be where it's most comfortable and where there's the least amount of movement from the attention position to the playing position.  In the attention position, I prefer to keep the right hand on the valves, but those darn pinky and thumb rings won't hold up very long if you do that.  So you're going to have to find a different place that's close by the valves, yet is strong enough to support the weight.  Left hand, somewhere in the valve slide area that's strong.  At trail, you can hold them up high using the valve slides, ala Regiment.  Or you can hold them lower to the ground by grabbing the bigger tubing.  Either way, just find the balancing point so you can keep them parallel to the ground.

Anyway, no matter where you choose to place your hands (every corps does it differently) just make sure it's uniform throughout the line.

are they Bb's or G's?  We use the Bb Kanstul's at spirit and had a hard time trying to figure out how to hold them last year.  We mash the valves with the right hand and have the left hand on the pipe that sticks out the farthest.  On the Bb's there is a curve about half way through the pipe, which is where we put our left hand.  From there you can get good leverage to snap the horn up.  At trail we hold the pipe that is for the third valve.  They are pretty awkward horns to hold, but its worth it.

however you hold them, it's got to be easier than holding the Yamahas! :D

I enthusiastically agree - Lewie (my ex contra buddy)

However you hold them just be happy to have those beauties

There is nothing that compares to a full contra line of

Kanstul Grande Contras (Seismic Experience)

in G of course !

Ralph O