Cavaliers Sound Quality

Penguin

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I get it now. I can play with passion, heart, emotion, and energy too, if I try to play so loud that the horn goes out of tune and I stick out of the ensemble.

Gotcha.

Thats all Im going to say in this.

Its obvious that TubaDevil has had some good teachers in the "new school" of drum corps.

I realize that a lot of you marched in a day when emotion and earplugs were the top priority over execution. but drum corps has changed. While emotion and energy are still key issues, flawless execution of sound and marching is what takes the cake. thats what seperates the big boys from the rest of the pack (show design too, of course).

Drum corps that are successful in this new arena realize that to be ahead of the pack, you must throw out the old rules, and use the correct techniques which mimic the worlds best musicians (wind ensembles, orchestras, accomplished soloist, etc.)

10 or 15 years ago, there were no drum corps that could compare to other top organizations (wind ensembles, symphonies, etc) as far as sound quality. but i think no one can argue that we've all heard some things in drum corps in the past 2 years that could compare to some of these groups

/sarcasm I could argue that!! i'd be wrong.. but i could argue it... /sarcasm off

hehe... :D

I can't help but feel that there are too many people here that let "emotion" and "energy" be an excuse for making intonation and balance issues.

Very well put. Letting things slide because of emotion and energy means that the line doesn't have control.

All corps tick, from BD to Pioneer. It's part of the performance. Is it a good thing? No. Should a hornline play beyond their means on purpose? Of course not. But, on Finals night, in the case of say PR, when they let that last note rip, I can't possibly blame any member of the hornline for letting tone quality be d@mnned and giving 110%. To me it shows passion and heart, obviously qualities that are more important to some people and corps than others. I will remember seeing Phantom perform that night for the rest of my life. To me they were better than any corps I've ever seen, because they poured the souls through their bells that night and I don't care it came out a little ratty.

But that's not to say the Cavaliers have no heart. I can feel the passion when they play "Over the Rainbow". I just wish they could put that feeling into a field show.

Thats all fine and dandy, but don't complain when Regiment finishes 4th in brass playing that way.

Hmm, I don't remember ever complaining about their placement. I personally think SCV should have beat them. Then again my complaint with their show wasn't the horns.

Anyway, what I'm trying to understand is how people can make generalizations about an entire hornline and their staff, especially the staff, based off of individual ticks.

why do you think that so many studio teachers dread sending their students to these "balls to the wall" drum corps? because they come home sounding like feces

I.E. comments like that.

Edited by Rookie@Spirt

I can't help but feel that there are too many people here that let "emotion" and "energy" be an excuse for making intonation and balance issues.

Very well put. Letting things slide because of emotion and energy means that the line doesn't have control.

All corps tick, from BD to Pioneer. It's part of the performance. Is it a good thing? No. Should a hornline play beyond their means on purpose? Of course not. But, on Finals night, in the case of say PR, when they let that last note rip, I can't possibly blame any member of the hornline for letting tone quality be d@mnned and giving 110%. To me it shows passion and heart, obviously qualities that are more important to some people and corps than others. I will remember seeing Phantom perform that night for the rest of my life. To me they were better than any corps I've ever seen, because they poured the souls through their bells that night and I don't care it came out a little ratty.

But that's not to say the Cavaliers have no heart. I can feel the passion when they play "Over the Rainbow". I just wish they could put that feeling into a field show.

Thats all fine and dandy, but don't complain when Regiment finishes 4th in brass playing that way.

Hmm, I don't remember ever complaining about their placement. I personally think SCV should have beat them. Then again my complaint with their show wasn't the horns.

Anyway, what I'm trying to understand is how people can make generalizations about an entire hornline and their staff, especially the staff, based off of individual ticks.

When a corps puts on a performance to an audience, they dont say "we are going to perform for you, but we want you to understand how/why our staff teaches." A corps performs a PRODUCT to an audience. to an audience member, what they see during a performance is the only thing that matters. otherwise, they would list the teaching philosophies of every corps in the DCI program.

any person who watches Phantom Regiment perform is a phantom regiment audience member. the audience judges the PRODUCT, and that is all. the audience is not supposed to judge the PRODUCT based on inside information about Phantom Regiments teaching.

This thread is about sound quality. This thread is not about "sound quality with exceptions given to how corps X teaches."

The fact of the matter remains - corps X could rehearse by rubbing peanut butter and jelly all over their bodies during lip slurs, while corps Y does not. If corps X and corps Y comes out to a performance making beautiful, controlled, emotional, and intonationally correct sounds, it doesnt matter what they do behind close doors. (as long as its not demeaning to its members)

Phantom Regiment did not (to an extent) make those sounds.

Other corps did.

Edited by parrotonmyshoulder

Well, sorry, but I'd rather continue to think that the average audience member has the compacity to understand that the quality of instruction and skill of the members can't be summed up to one generalized conclusion based on one nights show. Some nights are better than others, we all know that, or at least I'd loke to think that we do.

But, no. People want to say that hornlines weren't taught right because of certian issues in a show, then someone says that they don't mind those issues or even like them, then someone else comes back and says to the other person they also weren't taught right because they like it that way.

This thread is about sound quality.  This thread is not about "sound quality with exceptions given to how corps X teaches."

That what it's seemed to have turned into. Well, to me anyway.

Regiments line is very exciting to the general audience. Cavies line is very exciting to the higher end listener who is excited about a line that can do everything and do it well. Its all a matter of taste, but what the Cavies are doing is going to win as long as the judges really know what to listen for.

Let me see if I got this right. Since I like Phantom's sound better than Cavies I must be an unsophisticated, neanderthal eared, general audience member incapable of appreciating the higher end sonorities produced by the only hornline in history to produce beautifully intoned sounds for an entire show????

no. it means the university or drum corps that taught you did not do it's job correctly

That was a direct attack on another person's instruction and education, simply based on the fact that he doesn't mind a little edge.

Edited by Rookie@Spirt

Has anyone noticed that over the past few years, the quality of sound that the Cavaliers' brass line puts out is getting better and better. This year was the peak IMHO. The way the uppper, middle, and lower brass all blended together to create this beautiful, open sound was like (as Cesario said once about PR) "taking a bath in chocolate". Such a reaction to tone quality alone could only be produced (for me) by one other corps before this past season; Phantom Regiment.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is anyone else as impressed with the Cavaliers sound as I am?

Which corps to you is more like "taking a bath in chocolate"? 

So going back to the original topic at hand...

Yes, I've noticed how the Cavaliers brass sound seems to get leaps and bounds every year. I wouldn't go so far as to say that this past summer was their "peak", as that would imply that it'll go down from here. But, it was certainly an incredible sound that I only expect to get even more impressive in the coming years.

I won't jump in on the whole discusssion of who or what's better, but will only say I'd take the Cavaliers sound over any other corps' any day!

Martin

yes, I'm biased...

Regiments line is very exciting to the general audience. Cavies line is very exciting to the higher end listener who is excited about a line that can do everything and do it well. Its all a matter of taste, but what the Cavies are doing is going to win as long as the judges really know what to listen for.

Let me see if I got this right. Since I like Phantom's sound better than Cavies I must be an unsophisticated, neanderthal eared, general audience member incapable of appreciating the higher end sonorities produced by the only hornline in history to produce beautifully intoned sounds for an entire show????

no. it means the university or drum corps that taught you did not do it's job correctly

That was a direct attack on another person's instruction and education, simply based on the fact that he doesn't mind a little edge.

Im sure thats what the directors of show bands tell themselves (i.e. grambling, southern...etc)