Gunshots During Old Corps Recordings?

If I recall most of the hornline was next to the sideline on their knees, many of them couldn't see the dm. And something that comes to mind, there were some problems with the drumline rushing. When I saw SCVs video from finals (taken near the press box) it's amazing how loud the crowd is. You can see the corps on the field, but you can't hear a note coming off the field.

And, of course, as Jan points out in the RAMD thread, the acoustics in Montreal's Olympic Stadium were not the greatest. So maybe that, combined with all the crowd noise, was all it took.

The sad thing is that on the telecast tape, you can hear the phasing all too clearly. And yet even the telecast announcers don't seem to be aware of what happened.

After all this time, who cares. It's one of the greatest moments in drum corps history. Let it stand at that.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I recall most of the hornline was next to the sideline on their knees, many of them couldn't see the dm. And something that comes to mind, there were some problems with the drumline rushing. When I saw SCVs video from finals (taken near the press box) it's amazing how loud the crowd is. You can see the corps on the field, but you can't hear a note coming off the field.

And, of course, as Jan points out in the RAMD thread, the acoustics in Montreal's Olympic Stadium were not the greatest. So maybe that, combined with all the crowd noise, was all it took.

The sad thing is that on the telecast tape, you can hear the phasing all too clearly. And yet even the telecast announcers don't seem to be aware of what happened.

One thing I've heard from anyone who marched finals in 81 and 82 in Montreal was how horrible the acoustics were. Every horn players who was there talks about the echo that came off the back stands when they turned around and played. And if I recall most of the corps spent time working on the phasing problem, that was created by this echo, before finals.

After all this time, who cares. It's one of the greatest moments in drum corps history. Let it stand at that.

It is what it is. It is what the viewer hears when watching the telecast. As much as we'd like to change it, we can't. IMO, it's a sad moment, even though I know that for the folks who were there and didn't realize it was happening, they remember it quite differently.

For some people, it's a great moment. For others, it's a sad one. I fall into the latter category. I view it as something that could have been great, but didn't happen the way it was supposed to. That's life. No more, no less.

• 3 weeks later...

This is where it's unfortunate Ken Kobold is gone. 1982 Prelims were held at McGill University and the acoustics were fine. I ordered SCV's and our prelim performances from that year and the sound quality was much better than Finals.

This is where it's unfortunate Ken Kobold is gone. 1982 Prelims were held at McGill University and the acoustics were fine. I ordered SCV's and our prelim performances from that year and the sound quality was much better than Finals.

I've always wondered about this. What does Santa Clara's "original" -- or "non bottle dance" 1982 ending sound like? The funny thing is that I was there at McGill and I don't remember!

The acoustics in 81 were particularly bad. The field was moved back in 82 to reduce the echo....but it was stlil there.

Some corps did practice in the stadium those years. Blue Devils was one of the corps that did *not* hold a rehearsal in the stadium.

We did. We even had a little snow flurry during our rehearsal at Olympic Stadium in '82. Some people were mentioning something about a snowy day in August before the Regiment won Finals, but alas, it was not meant to be. Y'all had a great performance that night.

May DCI Finals NEVER be in Olympic Stadium in Montreal again.

I've always wondered about this. What does Santa Clara's "original" -- or "non bottle dance" 1982 ending sound like? The funny thing is that I was there at McGill and I don't remember!

I have it (or at least I did, last I checked) from Kobold's prelims recording. It's essentially a reprise of the first theme of Capriccio Espagnol (second tune in the show) which quickly cuts to the end of the piece with an uptempo push and a couple of screaming sops before the big finish. Nice, solid ending.