Gunshots During Old Corps Recordings?

I don't listen to much older drum corps music, but it seems like on quite a few occassions, I've heard two distinct cracking noises during older recordings that sound like gunshots. What are those? Anybody know what I'm talking about? LOL...I imagine everybody probably does and I'm the dumb one. Oh well...I'm asking. :P

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be off a bit here, but IIRC, all judging except GE stopped at the 11 or so minute mark back in the day of the 13 minute show. The shots were to signal the judges of that mark.

Kinda cool, cause it seems like on every recording I have from back then, people cheered when the shots rang out.

Kinda cool, cause it seems like on every recording I have from back then, people cheered when the shots rang out.

That's because the shows usually did something great for GE (like a huge company front) but could expose them to penalties if the move was not done properly. But after the gun went off, it didn't matter anymore.

Or so I was told by an instructor.

The year Bridgemen did West Side Story, the show was staged so the guy got shot at the same time the gun went off, if I remember correctly.

The gun went off at the beginning of the show and then again at 11:30 (I think I'm remembering that right). Shows had a max of 13 minutes. At that point, the execution judging stopped but the GE judging went until the end, and as previously noted, a lot of times the last minute of the show had the most density and intensity.

My last memory as a marching member at Finals in '81 was seeing Rod Goodhart get one last tick in on us just before the gun. Can't listen to the recording without hearing exactly the same error he did, 2 seconds before the gun. But for that, we would have notched up a place in the percussion standings...

After the gun, it was always time to "let it eat", as one favorite instructor put it...

Spirit's 2003 show had a throwback to those days when they played 'Let It Be Me' in a company front.

Back in the day, the company front in 'LIBM' was timed to hit just after the gun.

If the camera had been pointed toward the audience, you would have seen the babies flying out of the stands.

Edited by Jim Clark

The shots mark the beginning and end of adjudication.

Or, to make this much easier to understand...

I believe (and I'm SURE someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that the first note/movement of the corps after the DM 'takes the field' started the gun and timing. The second shot was the end of all judging by everyone but GE.

And, agreed, the best moments were usually after the 2nd shot.

My favorite momeent leading up to the end of adjudication occured in 1980 with the Bridgemen...fighting the Civil War at Birmingham in the Finals. The guard's helping each other up, and the generals are dusting each other off...and the gun goes off...VERY poignant.

Or, to make this much easier to understand...

I believe (and I'm SURE someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that the first note/movement of the corps after the DM 'takes the field' started the gun and timing. The second shot was the end of all judging by everyone but GE.

And, agreed, the best moments were usually after the 2nd shot.

My favorite momeent leading up to the end of adjudication occured in 1980 with the Bridgemen...fighting the Civil War at Birmingham in the Finals. The guard's helping each other up, and the generals are dusting each other off...and the gun goes off...VERY poignant.

In my era (64-72)...

First gun went off to start timing at the first movement or note after the salute. We were drilled to remain totally still after the salute, no matter WHAT.

Second gun at 11 minutes to end execution judging.

Third gun when the last marching member crossed the goal line...or 13 minutes, whichever came first.

Mike

Golly, I was right! Amazing...